Cancelling a guest's reservation

Anita5
Level 1
Kirkland, Washington, United States

Cancelling a guest's reservation

So.  I have a 3 bedroom house and I rent 2 rooms on Air BNB.

One of my bedrooms got rented for January, but because my guest wanted her own private bathroom, we negotiated a rate and I blocked the 3rd bedroom so that she would have a private bathroom.

Well, I just found out that a very dear friend has accepted a temporary work assignment here in Seattle and wants to stay with me during that same time.  I didn't think it would be an issue as he is perfectly happy sharing my bathroom.

So - I explained to my Air BNB guest that he would be staying in January, and I hope she'd be ok with it, and as a courtesy, I'd offer her a small discount.

She absolutely refused to "change any of the terms" and forbids me to allow my friend to stay in my home.  She says I'm breaking an agreement...which, in my mind, was ONLY assuring her that her use of the bathroom would be hers and hers alone.

Shall I go ahead and cancel the reservation?  Or just let her know that the person IS going to be staying and that she's free to cancel it herself if it is not to her liking anymore?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Anita5,

I completely think you should go ahead and let your friend stay.  You are still honoring your guests request to have her own bathroom and she is only renting one room.  I would do as you suggested and "let her know that the person IS going to be staying and that she's free to cancel it herself if it is not to her liking anymore?"  What "change of terms" is there really?  She is getting the room she booked AND her very own bathroom as request!  Unless we don't have the whole story.

What do others think?  

Happy Hosting @Anita5!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Anita5
Level 1
Kirkland, Washington, United States

Thanks for the response.

She thinks I've changed the terms because I did say that I would "BLOCK" the other room on the AirBNB calendar out of courtesy, but ONLY to ensure she have a private bathroom.

However, my friend is not staying wtih Air BNB, and I didn't commit to it only ever being two persons in the house.  He will be using my bathroom, so I don't really understand what she is upset about.

Her email did get a bit nasty, so I am tempted to cancel her reservation...but I will wait and see what her response is first.

Do NOT cancel her booking as there are huge penalties including that you will not be able to book your listing for the days she had it booked - they will be blocked. At this point I would offer for her to cancel and tell her you will refund her Airbnb service charge. If she chooses to stay with you, you know by her messages that it will not be a pleasant house for the time she is there and no matter what, she will probably give you a bad review.

You might want to look at the penalties that you will incur if you cancel the booking.

Cheers

Dave

Typed with my fingers on phone.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Definitely do not cancel because you will get penalized by Airbnb. If she doesn't like the arrangements let her cancel, but I would contact Airbnb now and explain the situation. It's unreasonable for her to tell you how to rent out your house. I think she is showing you a huge red flag that she will be a problematic guest who will make more demands of you and try to virtually take over your house.

Be strong!