Check in and check out

Joanne--Jo-Jo-0
Level 2
Goderich, Canada

Check in and check out

I’m a month old Hostess.

Had my first issue... early check in with lockbox. My check in hours are listed. Listing is a property I don’t live on. My neighbors alerted me of 3 people going into the space  many hours before check in time. Plus only one person was booked to stay. I did go over to check it was guest not intruders. Guest not seem aware of times in house rules. After confirming it was her I promptly changed my house rules to specify only pre arranged check in outs were allowed. And will not place lockbox on door till closer to check in time...also added only guests  booked.were allowed on property,,,,,is this all correct adjustments ,,,,any other suggestions ...trying to build up great reviews so hoping this turns out well.

2 Replies 2
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

an electronic lock where you can set the time period during which a code will work, and automatically change codes between guests, is a great investment. Some hosts also recommend security cameras.

@Joanne--Jo-Jo-0 
About a week ago I mentioned in this forum that we do not provide codes to incoming guests until just prior to their arrival. We have the guest message or text us when they are about 1/2 hour away and we then provide the code if we are unable to meet them. Certain members of this forum excoriated me for this process, but this is exactly why I implimented it. We had guests saying they were arriving prior to check-out time of the current guests. We even had one guest start to arrive the night prior ("oops I made a mistake when I booked").

Anyway, not mentioning in ourr listing that it's a keybox, implying that we will meet the guests in person, utilizing exterior cameras and providing the code the day of arrival are all things we have implemented from experience to prevent a variety of unwanted problems. As @Lisa723 mentioned, you can also purchase a lock that can be remotely programmed via the internet to allow access using the guest's code between specific dates and times.