Check number of people before a reservation is accepted?

Check number of people before a reservation is accepted?

Hi,

Now I have a booking/reservation of a family with 4 children. I only have 4 beds.
And, worse. By the new Spanish Law (mid May), I have a rental License since mid June for max. 4 people!  
How can I tune Airbnb to avoid this?

Kind regards, René

3 Replies 3
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@René10

Guests often think that their children don't count in the total number of guests, so it will be up to you to communicate properly with your guests to make sure they understand.

You could mention for ex. that on checking in there will be an ID check and only guests (incl. children) pre-booked and in advance will be allowed entrance. Ask them for full names of ALL guests. Also that according to new Spanish law only a maximum of 4 guests (children of all ages included) are allowed in vacation rentals, and that exceding that amount will be reason for instant cancellation. (Maybe your insurance even only allows 4 maximum, so that would be an extra reason you could use to turn anybody away.)

I'd include that in your main text as well as in your house rules and also when communicating with them prior to booking or right after booking.

There's no other way to fine-tune the system. People will always not bother reading the listing properly or try to sneak in extra kids since they feel they "don't really count" as guests. So it's up to us hosts to make sure we cover all bases. 

Best wishes

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@René10

... and in this case refer them to your maximum 4 guests as stated in your listing and that exceding that amount is just not possible.

(They'll either have to cancel or find an additional place for the other party)

Dear Andrea,

Thank you very much for your quick response and clear answer! I will use your advice.

For new renters it is very important they know (see 

http://www.kenchuanarchitects.com/help/article/484.html)

that they can't check bookings in the beginning.

I just started, my first guest didn't finish his stay yet, didn't close his booking yet.

So, all bookings now are automatically accepted!

Kind regards, René

I think Airbnb must make a check field at number of people. First of all for safety (fire) reasons.

My appartment has a Rental License of the Community of Marbella for max. 4 persons, by Law!