Conflicting Cancellation Policies

Paige96
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Conflicting Cancellation Policies

Hello! My maid of honor and I recently booked at home through Airbnb for May. The home's host is actually a rental company. Their cancellation policy states if we cancel prior to 30 days of the reservation, we would only have to pay $250 and the booking fee. However, on their Airbnb profile for the home, the Airbnb cancellation policy claims that we are actually only eligible to receive a 50% refund of the total rental fees. These are obviously two very different amounts and two completely different policies so my question would be which one is correct? Does Airbnb really have the ability to overcharge us on a cancellation that was made within 4 months of the reservation date? It just seems unreasonable to me. Please help! Thank you!

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paige96

I am not sure if I understood you well but for you is important the policy which was active when you booked

They may change it afterward but it doesn't affect your booking

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Paige96 the host has the ability to refund you any amount they choose. Airbnb may or may not back them up if they choose not to refund more than 50%, since you agreed to the Airbnb policy when you booked. In your place I would contact the host and ask for clarification.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Branka-and-Silvia0 it sounds like they have one policy on Airbnb and a different policy off the platform.

Summer39
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

I own a home in a high rent area and pride myself on making sure my guests have an A+ experience. Which means I’m constantly working on my home to ensure it’s perfect for the next guest and their needs. I have a strict cancellation policy but have still had people ask for refunds. When I first started I did refund because the person said they would rebook but almost a year later no sign of that. 

Most recently, I’ve offered to credit the guest on their next booking with me. One person is upset about that offer and the other has been as sweet as honey. I really feel this is a fair compromise and above and beyond because per my policy, I do not have to do anything. 

My question: if and when these guest request a refund if  I do not reply am I penalized for not responding? Also, once I responded and then AirB&B called and asked me if I would consider a refund. I felt bullied. If I have a strict policy and choose not to refund, why aren’t they supporting me?

Has anyone else encountered similar situations? What special offers do you have to soften the blow if any? Thanks in advance for your advice. I put my heart and soul into this and every penny goes back into this house to pay the property tax, loan, cleaners, new sheets, etc. It’s a business, I can’t afford to have people tie up the property and then cancel. Every booking is important and the competition is high. There must be 500 AirB&B rentals in a 4 mile radius of me. 

Thanks in advance for your time. 

Tammi2
Level 1
Deerfield Beach, FL

‘Air BNB is too soft.  They should let their vendors set their own policy.  Our contract states 30 days.  We booked a hotel in Puerto Rico through Spirit Airlines.  When the only way you could see the beach was look left over the parking lot we decided to leave not as advertised.  Do you think the hotel or Spirit offered a refund. No!

The rooms are specifically reserved for the time you booked there.  

I just lost Half the rent for a lady who booked 5 Months ago within 3 weeks. In spring break. 

Airbnb needs to let their vendors set their own rules. 

No refunds in less than 30 days unless the owner agrees.   Or someone else wishes to book. 

Give them credit off a future rental they can reschedule if it’s not booked. 

It’s our business not AirBNB’s.   Our investment, our insurance, our loss.

The last person I told this too showed up and had a great time. 

Please put strict cancellation policy policy back to 100% 30 days. 

I have a question? As a host, If I need to cancel the reservation, 3 weeks before the guests arrived, will I have to pay the Cancelation fee? And how much will be?