Confronting guests about unusual activities.

Answered!
Greg-And-Calvin0
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

Confronting guests about unusual activities.

Hi,

Since we opened last July, we've only had one set of guests that left the place a mess.

We've been very lucky having guests that are quiet and respectful, until now.

The last 3 days I've had 4 adults and a teenager staying downstairs, and they are up making noise and doing their laundry until 2 or 3 in the morning, and the washing machine and dryer are being used constantly while they are there. I think they brought all of their clothing from home to do at our place.

They are verified members, but since they've become members in 2017 I can't find one review on them.

Air BnB says that verified guests qualify for instant bookings, but shouldn't we be able to refuse allowing them to stay with us if they have no reviews, without penalty of losing our super host status?

They check out tomorrow, and after reading some of the bad reviews about some guests, I'm afraid about what I'll find as far as a mess or what's missing.

Cheers,

Greg and Calvin

(Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada).

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

We learn more about this business from less than stellar guests than the easy ones, @Greg-And-Calvin0.  Your place looks quite lovely.  Given what you have posted, my thoughts are:

1) You have listed your suite as an entire apartment, so they would expect to conduct activities at any time that suits them.  If you have any limits, you would need to add rules that address that.  You can also add limits to the use of amenities in your listing.  Edit amenities to describe limits.

2)  You can require IB guests to have positive recommendations.  Change your booking setting.  That would force a guest to send an inquiry that you can decline if you are not comfortable with the lact of reviews.

3)  Do you have  security deposit?  If not, add it as even good guests can have accidents. 

4)  It would be best for you to be there for check out so you can inspect the place while they are there.  As my guests are leaving, I always tell them, "I am going to do a quick review to see if you have left anything behind."

Hope this helps.  Linda

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

We learn more about this business from less than stellar guests than the easy ones, @Greg-And-Calvin0.  Your place looks quite lovely.  Given what you have posted, my thoughts are:

1) You have listed your suite as an entire apartment, so they would expect to conduct activities at any time that suits them.  If you have any limits, you would need to add rules that address that.  You can also add limits to the use of amenities in your listing.  Edit amenities to describe limits.

2)  You can require IB guests to have positive recommendations.  Change your booking setting.  That would force a guest to send an inquiry that you can decline if you are not comfortable with the lact of reviews.

3)  Do you have  security deposit?  If not, add it as even good guests can have accidents. 

4)  It would be best for you to be there for check out so you can inspect the place while they are there.  As my guests are leaving, I always tell them, "I am going to do a quick review to see if you have left anything behind."

Hope this helps.  Linda

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Greg-And-Calvin0,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I could see that Linda has given some great tips here and was wondering if you've seen them?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen