Coupons?

Carol90
Level 4
Gatineau, Canada

Coupons?

Hello,

Has anyone ever accepted a coupon? I am having a funny situation where a client messaged me, was able to see my phone number and postal code but  no payment went through and  calendar is not blocked out. When I asked he said he is using a coupon by airbnb. I am on hold with airbnb for 1 hour no response.

Anyone? 

6 Replies 6
Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

Doesn't make sense. Him using a coupon would have still resulted in a real booking with a payment to you. Sounds fishy. 

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Phone numbers are not released until an actual booking is made, at which point your calendar would be blocked. 

Jude

Carol90
Level 4
Gatineau, Canada

Thanks Ash& Dash and Jude,

Just ended the little drama tonight, not before they used the room to eat their pizza and a bottle of wine. ABB was particularly busy tonight so I was on the phone for more than an hour. 

This is how it all started ( I still don't get how he got my cellphone number?) but I still played nice host believing it would all workout in the end.

Received message/inquiry from client, explaining that a family trip got canceled bla bla- the reason for the last minute booking, 2 guests the other is the girlfriend, I kind of let the lie pass. I start rushing making the bed etc. Sixth sense to google client, that is when I noticed that  not only is the calendar not blocked out but he is not listed on my reservation list. i message him about completing his payment - answer coupon from another canceled booking. Fair enough. I call ABB I reach an agent who promises to call back, in the meantime they get to my street and ALARM # 1, messages me to ask am at the postal code what is the address? I was not sitting at my computer so couple of minutes later he calls.Against my better judgment and no word from ABB I give him the address.

He was going to get away with it until about 45 minutes into their arrival, he asks for absolute privacy not once but twice. The 2 bedrooms in my unit open into the living room  and the kitchen further left, where I read and use my laptop, he was uncomfortable with that. When I came out of the room the second time to complain I just made up my mind that having a vacancy was better for my sanity tonight, unknown to him I still had ABB on hold.

Him insisting he made a payment and me saying no there is no payment, besides am not meeting your needs, am offering you my internet for free please book an entire apartment/house asap before midnight because it is not working for me. Well, he said he is not going onto the street as for him he has paid and has a confirmation, suggesting maybe we can deal with it in the morning. I was having none of it, because he was rude, more than 30 guests and none ever had a problem with me working in my living room, and I have hosted couples before at 8pm no less. Now I really had my house phone ready to call 911 at this point!

Maybe 40 minutes later my call goes through and the agent was great. He confirmed that the booking was not confirmed and he shouldn't be at my house. Spoke to him and that really calmed him down and accepted to leave.

Lesson learnt! Check double check next time.  I will be speaking to a special ABB customer experience agent soon but this was scary !

Karyo0
Level 4
Manchester, United Kingdom

I think you had a very lucky escape here! Please be very careful.  Only accept bookings that have gone through the system correctly - If something feels wrong or you are in an doubt thengo with your gut instinct  do not allow strangers into your home!

Kevin56
Level 1
Askam-in-Furness, United Kingdom

REVIEVED A COUPON

says not valid

no reason why

how do i find out why not working should be a quicker way of finding out

as was going away in 3 days

Jan201
Level 1
New York, NY

I had $75 worth of coupon from Airbnb. I used it yesterday but I had to cancel my reservation within 24 hours, actually it was only less than 24 hrs - in six hours- and now I can't seem to see my coupon. I just would like to use my coupon. So, did I just use it and lose my change entirely or throw it away by canceling my trip? If so, I don't think this is not very encouraging for people who have been hosting and traveling thru Airbnb. Does anyone know about how these coupons work?