Damage to table payment

Jovanni0
Level 1
Ontario, CA

Damage to table payment

Hi all,

I recently stayed in a place where I made the mistake of damaging a table by ironing on top of it with a towel. I've done this many times, but have never had this result (the circular cup stains were already there). I take responsibility for the error and will pay for the damage.

The host is charging $90 for the damage, which seems a bit high. Am I out of line to ask for any post-work pictures, receipts, invoices? Or should I just pay and let go?

Thanks!20170602_094207-min.jpg

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Jovanni0,

I would not think that $90 is too much and would actually think this would be a great deal.  I do agree that their was damage before but this would need to be completely stripped and sanded down and resurfaced.  You could ask for a receipt and followup photos but at the end of the day, the host would need to eaither fix it or replace the table which would cost more than $90.

But this is just one man's opinion.  Maybe others will disagree.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jovanni0 I second @Dave-and-Deb0 that 90$ is not a big amount, especially looking at the picture. It looks like a fairly good sized, sturdy table. If he fixed the table himself (lots of hosts would do that) he might not be able to show you bills though. But I think asking for a post-fix picture seems fair.

It's very nice that you are willing to pay to the host without him having to go to Airbnb! 🙂

Jovanni0
Level 1
Ontario, CA

Thank you both!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Jovanni0, I agree, just pay the $90. And use more towels underneath next time. I have gotten this type of stain out using Scott's liquid Gold very generously, but it's hard to see the total damage from the photo. If the host wants $90., it seems pretty reasonable, and not worth fighting or ruining your trip over.

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

Just a couple of thoughts,

why did you need to iron on the table ? Was an ironing board provided?

was the iron provided by your host or did you use your own ?

I wonder why a host would have an iron available but not a proper board to use.

Seems like their negligence as much as yours, an accident waiting to happen.

cheers

Michelle