Declining the same guest twice

Declining the same guest twice

This is probably a no-brainer but I am in the position of declining the same guest twice in a little over two weeks.  First, I sent the decline with the explanation to Airbnb as indicated and all was good - I thought. Two weeks later on the same Airbnb message string the same guest says he's still interested even after I raised my rates during the interim two weeks?  All very confusing. It's like he never got the decline message I sent two weeks ago?  Very sketchy. Anybody else ever run into this situation?  My gut tells me to just decline the request again.  But I also understand from reading this forum Airbnb doesn't like a host declining too many times. But it's the same guest?  Thanks.  Jeff   

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeffrey50  I'd contact Airbnb and explain the situation. Why did you decline the guest the first time? Get a bad feeling from him, or did you feel he had expectations you weren't prepared to meet?

You don't say if this was a Booking Request or an Inquiry.

Thanks for the response. I declined because it was an obvious case of "I-want-to-keep-all-my-options-open".  First he asked for the precise address for our home that he wants to book for December.  I messaged him back and declined to give him the address.  Then a brisk two or three word response  from him after 12 hours or so ordering me to accept the booking, the address wasn't important. He briefly explained he was texting me and that must have been the reason for the long delay between messages? (He wasn't texting me). This is a "booking request" by the way. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeffrey50  What is the reason for the decline?  There are some reasons that raise a red flag and others that do not. If you do not want to receive  booking requests from a potential guest there is a way to block the guest.  Look in the Help Center for the process.

BTW you have a lovely listing but I see such a low nightly rate, $40. for an entire home.  Is that correct?

I explained to Sarah.  Yes, red flags and I explained the flags to Airbnb. Thanks for the compliment.  Much higher rate for the winter months in Sun City West. I close it up for the summer months usually in late April.  Not worth trying to rent it during the HEAT. Spend time off and on F,M and April.  One visit mid summer.  Ah, La Quinta..one of my favorite spots!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jeffrey50Some guests just won't take no for an answer. Very odd to me, but it takes all kinds. 

To permanently block someone from contacting you again: 

Go to your Airbnb Inbox

Click on the message of the guest you want to block from booking
Click Report this user (the little flag icon)
Select a reason why you are reporting this person. After you select a reason, it will ask you if you want to block the user on messaging you and booking a reservation.

Job done! The person will no longer be able to contact you. 

Thanks for the blocking procedure.  Hope I don't need to use it (smiley face).