Deposit vs Full Payment

Maradith0
Level 1
Litchfield, NH

Deposit vs Full Payment

Hello!

Is a prospect (future guest) able to give a deposit vs. full payment at time of booking?

Thank you for any feedback in advance. 

20 Replies 20

@Shane70 actually, they launched the "Pay Less Up Front" option back in January.

It has been a option for guests who book far enough in advance for over a month now.

https://press.atairbnb.com/airbnb-launches-pay-less-up-front-a-new-flexible-payment-option-for-trave...

Mark-TP0
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

This means hosts still dont get anything earlier - just the guest has a break - and ABB acts as a bank on Host/Guests funds..

Anyway I found out about this because a guest contacted me today asking about how they make the final payment.  This is because the card they used expired last month.  They are concerned their booking willbe cancelled beacause of the expiring card.

I am sure it is not beyond the capability of a technology company to see that the expiry date on a card is before the net payment will be taken.

What I dont want to see is ABB cancelling a booking where they have taken over 60% of the full payment but cant take the balance.

As usual no on at ABB to contact and keep guest happy. 

Hello,

I had the same problem, I only wanted to pay partial (the deposit) and the rest later. In order to have this payment option you must be invited by the host. From there you will have the option to pay half or full amount.

@Lesly15Not sure who told you that, but it's not accurate. The host has no control over payments: payments are strictly between the guest and Airbnb and we as hosts have no control over how or when the guest pays. We get paid by Airbnb the day after check in regardless of how the guest chooses to pay.

If your booking is more than a month away, you have the option to pay half up front an half a couple of weeks before your stay. That's the only partial payment option at this point. 

@Alexandra316  Yes I understand how the payment process works for the hosts.

On the other end guests sometimes do not have the option of "Pay less upfront" instantly even if it is a month before. Sometimes for it to pop up again the host invites the guest and the option will definitely show up.

Skip-And-Kat0
Level 2
Bellaire, MI

Having just gotten burned on a 50/50 split payment on another platform, I am here to make sure my AirBnB guest pay 100% up front. I am very Happy and thankful to find out AirBnB requires 100% at Booking. To the rest of you complaining about this...be careful what you wish for. I can only imagine the problems I am going to have trying to get money AFTER a guest stay. Waiting at the front door and demanding a 2nd payment before check in sounds like a bad review waiting to happen. Imaginary "opportunity" loss vs actual loses are something to consider. Be careful what you wish for.