Deposit vs Full Payment

Maradith0
Level 1
Litchfield, NH

Deposit vs Full Payment

Hello!

Is a prospect (future guest) able to give a deposit vs. full payment at time of booking?

Thank you for any feedback in advance. 

20 Replies 20
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Full payment must be made at the time the reservation is made.

Valerios0
Level 1
Thessaloniki, Greece

I have the same issue, I loose a lot of bookings because of a big amount payment, could it be possible to create an option such a deposit payment for big amounts?

I agree. Especially for monthly or multi-month bookings for temporary work assignments or re-location. People cannot necessarily afford to pay 3 months worth of bookings up-front. I am considering my own plan to require them to book the first week of each month they are planning to stay and I will take the risk to block the remaining weeks of that month on my calendar in good faith. Haven't used this yet, but it would be possible to adjust the refund policy to moderate or strict to achieve something like a deposit.

Me too. I have people wanting to book a year in advance for the school holidays, and it's unreasonable to ask them to pay the whole sum so far ahead.

Dean9
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Can an AirBnB moderator or product person make a comment on this problem or feature request to have ability for guests booking well in advance to pay a deposit and have full amount taken 2-4 weeks before travel.  This is the most common complaint I get from guests who book is that they were not aware that full payment would be taken and get a shock or are put off from booking.

I am also in the same boat. First time airbnb lister, but struggling to get committment from guests. Its a lot of money and I'm happy to take a deposit, but there is no option on airbnb. A deposit option which first allows the host to chose the % of deposit and then stipulate the date in which full payment must be received following communication and agreement with the guest would be a very very worthy feature in deed.

I can't image this subject is new, but is simply being ignored by the airbnb mods.

Has anyone else attempted the earlier posts suggestion of asking for booking and payment for say 1 week of a 4 week request, then agreeing with the guest when they will book and pay the remaining 3 weeks?? Would be interested to know if this works.

I am a new host and my first guest wants to pay a deposit either by airbnb or by cheque to me directly. I am afraid that I shall lose this lady who is keen to book if she has to pay in full.Can someone help me asap please.Thanks  Jackie

Have there been any updates on this question?

You people that own the properties dont see a penny till near the date. I booked a villa in france SIX MONTHS before the travel date and was gutted to find the whole lot left my account same day- with a 50 % refund policy on a £1600 rental!! Never again!! This is how airbnb make money- sitting on millions of pounds of our money with very little in return. Nice business model and the obvious reason why they are ignoring this thread!

I tend to agree that it's unfair that they charge guests 100% up front and don't pay the property owners until after the guest arrives.  The big vacation rental competitor allows multiple payments whereas Airbnb does not. 

Eirena1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Why has there been no response to this? This is exploitation of hosts and guests! I have been using AIRBNB for many years and now that I need to book long periods well in advance, how can I be expected to pay thousands of dollars upfront, and the Host does not receive the money? What do they do with all this cash?

It makes me so angry to think we are taken advantage of and there is no one to file a complaint with.

Even Hotels take your credit card details and dont take any money until you check out. Why cant they do this?

Aaron182
Level 2
Kewarra Beach, Australia

Was going to email re paying a deposit to secure accommodation I have a lovely lady ask if she was able to do this for 19 nights as she has just paid for flights - thank you to the community centre page I now know for sure this can not be done. Would be fantastic if this was possible. I may have to do what another lady suggested and block the dates. Thank you 

Apparently Airbnb can get away with it and they do.  We just reserved a one-month booking for a year from now and had to pay the whole cost.  The Airbnb site indicates they will not give the host any of the money until 24-hours after the guests arrive.   Airbnb probably uses the money for other expenses and hopes enough people in the future will reserve bookings so that they will have enough cash to cover the required payment to the host.  Apparently, this is legal wherever Airbnb is incorporated.

Shane70
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

In the six month or so that I've been hosting, I've lost at least two reservations becuse of the upfront payment and had at least 3 quests inquire about makign a deposit.  I just had one today as a matter of fact.  Aparently AirBnB is not going to address this issue until the number of hosts and guests complaining climbs into the thousands.  It seems quite rediculous that someone like me with a flexible refund policy would charge a guest the full amount weeks or months in advance.  They obviously are enjoying the benefit of the many millions of cash reserves they get to sit on at the expense of we hosts and our guests.  Quite frustrating.