Difference between Overall rating in performance/ratings and performance/opportunities /superhost.

James1485
Level 2
Ventura, CA

Difference between Overall rating in performance/ratings and performance/opportunities /superhost.

In the performance/rating tab for host, it has my overall rating of 4.8.  However in the performance/opportuninty/superhost tap the overall rating is 4.7.  My calclations for my review is aggragate of 19 five star ratings, 1 four star rating and 1 one star rating, which amounts to 100 stars. If you divide 100 by the 21 reviews I get 4.76  Both of these tabs call the ratings "overall ratings"  

My question is this: Why are the ratings different, and which one is used for Super Host qualifications?  Are the ratings for Super Host rounded up at some point?

Jim 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@James1485  The overall rating is not an aggregate of the other star ratings. It's a completely separate rating and the only one that is used for the Superhost status (although if you got consistently low star ratings for cleanliness, for example, you'd get warning messages from Airbnb to pull up your socks). Star ratings are talked about on the forum here a lot, and most hosts are displeased in some way with the system. For instance, a guest may rate you 5*s in all the separate categories and then 4*s overall. It's bamboozling. 

As to why it shows in basic stats differently than it shows on the Superhost stats, I've noticed that the ratings don't always match up either and don't know why. The first may be based on your ratings since you started hosting (not sure about that), the Superhost is definitely only for the past 365 days.

And no, they don't round up from a 4.7 to a 4.8. They'd round up from a 4.65 to a 4.7, though

James1485
Level 2
Ventura, CA

Hi Sarah, thank you for your response.  I just want to be clear that the aggregates I'm talking about are overall guest reviews for both of my listings and not categories.  At this juncture I have 19 five stars, 1 four star and 1 one star.  That totals 100.  Divided by the amount of reviews (21) is 4.76. If you round up the 100th, it comes to 4.8.  

The information Airbnb gives in the Performance/Opportunities/Superhost tab, indicates "Superhosts have a 4.8 or higher average overall rating based on reviews in the past year."  Since I have 4.76 as the calculated overall rating, is that rounded up to the nearest 10th to 4.80 , or does the rating need to be 4.80 or above?  I can't seem to get a clear answer to this question, or perhaps I'm too dense to understand. 

Jim  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@James1485  Sorry I misunderstood. There's so many hosts who post here thinking that the overall rating is an average of the separate category ratings.

I do think they would round up a 4.76 to 4.8, I know I've read that here before, but you're right, trying to get a simple, concise answer out of Airbnb to even the most basic uncomplicated questions is an exercise in futility. It's not that you're dense 🙂

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@James1485 ... for the superhost only the last year counts .. but .. yeah .. this should be the same in your case

Thanks Mica, yes my listings are less than one year old, so all my reviews are counted.

Jim