Difficult guest

Sherry211
Level 1
Durham, NC

Difficult guest

I have recently had a group of guests all menmen t booked the family style booking. I told them over the phone that it is 4 guest but the brought a fifth. They we're going to the downtown to party and I gave the a ride because they were drinking. The arrive at my house drunk. When they returned tit was 3:30 am and we're still partying and brought women back as well to party with them. I asked to quiet down because I had a granddaughter sleeping but the said the didn't need to. They said they paid for the room and they could party and that my granddaughter needed to leave. I asked the again to quiet down but they continued to be loud and we're in and out of my front door making laoud noises outside. The spilled liquid  all over my carpet and the stairs. They left liquor and an open bottle of orange juice on my stairs. 

My question is I do not want to leave a review for this group. Do I have to do that. I just want to forget about the incident. 

I have never had a guest quite like this and do not know what to do. 

4 Replies 4
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sherry211  I hope you are well.

This sounds like a horrible incident, I hope that you're ok now.

To answer your question- you don't have to leave them a review.

I would encourage you to leave a short, factual honest review though- to warn future hosts that these aren't guests that they would want to host.

It's a heads-up to the host community.

Never mention alcohol or drinking, as guests can have reviews removed if you do so.

It could be something as short as "guests aren't suited to a shared space listing as they were unable to follow house rules, and respect others present in the listing. When I requested they moderate their behaviour they failed to do so, so I can't reccommend to future hosts"

Best wishes

Paul.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Sherry211 

What horrible guests. 

I think as hosts we need to remember that these are our homes, and we are absolutely allowed to except politeness and consideration from our guests.

There is no reason you could have ask the females who were not part of the party to leave and reminded the guest of your quiet hours (presume you have these).

When the 'guests' (i use that term loosely ) you could have contacted Airbnb ask them to cancel the booking and ask them to leave immediately.

If someone told me I should ask my grandchild to leave my home because they want to party. They would have been out on their ears.

I know you are upset but please do leave a short factual review. Don't you wish you had been warned by another host about their behaviour?

I am not sure why @Paul1255  feels you can't mention they were drinking I have seen other hosts mention this.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I wouldn't mention it as guests can cite privacy concerns via the Airbnb content policy to potentially have the review removed, then no one is any the wiser to the guests behaviour.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Paul1255 I don't believe you are correct. There is nothing in Airbnb's content policy that says you can't comment on a guest's behaviour in your review.

The OP can certainly say that they were drunk and abusive towards her. That is her personal, direct experience of having the guests stay with her.

Hosts and guest comment on each others behaviour all the time and this is never accepted by Airbnb as a reason to remove a review.

This is what Airbnb say about it's content policy.

"The following content is never allowed on Airbnb:

• Content created solely for the purpose of advertising or other commercial content, including company logos, links, or company names
  • Spam, unwanted contact, or content that is shared repeatedly in a disruptive manner
  • Content that endorses or promotes illegal or harmful activity, or that is profane, vulgar, obscene, threatening, or harassing
  • Content that is discriminatory (review our Nondiscrimination Policy for more info)
  • Attempts to impersonate another person, account, or entity, including a representative of Airbnb
  • Content that is illegal or that violates another person’s or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights
  • Content that provides specific details or outcomes of an Airbnb investigation
  • Content that is sufficient to identify a listing’s location or other content that may pose a personal safety risk to an Airbnb community member