Difficult situation

Darya12
Level 1
Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic

Difficult situation

Hello, I have a difficult situation. 

We are from the Czech republic, Prague .I and my friend would  like to rent an appartman for a long term. We found an  apartment from our local site which is not connected with Airbnb. We start conversation with the owner via email. We talked about all details, everything was fine.

but he said that: 

To can complete this deal we will use the biggest estate agency from world , Airbnb  ( www. airbnb. com )

In next words I will explain you how works Airbnb  ( www. airbnb. com/trust)  . They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment.
1. To can an register the transaction with Airbnb I need :
- your full name and full address ( address , city , zip code , country ) ;
- a copy of your ID  (identity card )  ( Airbnb need to verify your details )
- your phone # (a valid mobile number where Airbnb can contact you);
- the exact date from when you want to move there
- how many person will live there
2 . I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 . Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department . They will also confirm that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 . After this Airbnb will send you the link with my listing on their website. There you can book my apartment. To can book it they will ask for a safety deposit equal with 3 rental months . This three months represents the period of accommodation and the deposit will remain for the payment for this first 3 months. After this 3 months if everything will be fine , and you want to remain in my apartment , we will extend the period , for long term .
5. The deposit is just a formality and it won't obligate you to rent the apartment , it is a safety deposit, just to be sure that this is not a joke and I don't pay the transport taxes for nothing to an address that doesn't exist  . And in this way will be sure for both , because the money will remain at Airbnb until you will see the apartment, and only after this ,if everything will be fine , I will receive the money.
5. After the deposit is done , one of Airbnb agents will come with keys and with rental contract at your home , in 4 days.
6 . After this you will go with this agent to see the apartment , and if everything will be ok you will sign the contract .
7. If something will be wrong , and you don't want to rent the apartment , the Airbnb agent ,will give you , your money back , and will give me back the keys.
After this we offered him to continue our conversation in Airbnb but he refused and said that:
I told you that first I need from you this information
- your full name and full address ( address , city , zip code , country ) ;
- a copy of your ID  (identity card )  ( Airbnb need to verify your details )
- your phone # (a valid mobile number where Airbnb can contact you);
- the exact date from when you want to move there
- how many person will live there
after this I will go at Airbnb and they will send you the link with my apartment ,where you can complete the booking.
After the deposit is paid , they will start the delivery and the keys will be in Czech Republic in 4 days.
Once the keys will be there , one of their agents will call you and you will meet with him to see the apartment.
I have already explained you all process.
Please not that Airbnb can NOT release the funds without your approval. .
You will pay at them , and all money will remain in their custody until you will see the apartment and you will sign the contract.
In all this time you will have full control of the payment. 
I will receive the money only after you will sign the contract.
Let me know if you have the funds available on your bank account  because after we will start the transaction you have only 24 hours to complete it.
And tell me please the name of your bank ? ( I need this information for Airbnb )
If you have the funds available I can  go at Airbnb  tomorrow  .
In case that you don't have this funds available on your bank account , let me know , and I will wait until you will solve this problem.
now my question is, is this procedure will work  like this ? Because  before I didn’t use Airbnb like this situation only for short term rent and I always used Airbnb to text with the owner and now I am feeling insecure. 

8 Replies 8
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Darya12  This is a scam. Do not send money or information. 

Darya12
Level 1

Can you explain please why do you think it’s scam? Thank you 

@Darya12 @Letti0 is absolutely right. This is a known scam. Airbnb doesn't work like that, or do any of this. If you make the "deposit" you will never hear another thing and your money will be gone.

@Darya12  At AirBnB you register yourself, someone does not do it for you. On AirBnB you find the listing yourself and book it direct through AirBnB. There is no deposit per say on AirBnB, they just state you maybe liabiable for damages up $XXX. AirBnB DOES NOT send a representive to meet you. AirBnB does not let renter view the property prior to rentals. There's more, but you get the idea. 

Darya12
Level 1

Thank you  guys so much, you were really helpful 

It is definitely a scam, as there is no airbnb' does this, does that, needs this.  If you want to book a place on airbnb it is done 100% through the site, all payment details between airbnb and the host are already set, so host doesn't need to know anything about your bank or your credit card.  Also, airbnbn does nothing, checks nothing, sends no keys, certainly does no apartment walk throughs or anything like that.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Darya12     Type "Rental Scam" into the Search engine on this forum. There are pages and pages of scams exactly like the one you got. It's so good that you checked here first- many people have been fooled and lost all their money.

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

Do signal this individu out to the fraud department or similar in your country.