Dirty bed sheets

Answered!
Kobi6
Level 2
Israel

Dirty bed sheets

Hello:)

I'm sorry if I repeated on other's question, I didn't find an answer in former conversation...

A guest left my place a bit dirty, this is fine, but he left stains on the bed sheets that I can't wash out:((

Do you think it's okay to request money for that issue? 

TIA

Kobi

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kobi6 

You can do that, but you risk a negative review. If sheets are not expensive, let it go.

Try some stainremover to get stains out of your sheets.. Products like Vanish oxi action remove almost every stain.

Best regards,

Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kobi6 

You can do that, but you risk a negative review. If sheets are not expensive, let it go.

Try some stainremover to get stains out of your sheets.. Products like Vanish oxi action remove almost every stain.

Best regards,

Emiel

I would. It let it go! My sheets cost me $30 dollars! I would never avoid requesting sheets replacements because of a bad review! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kobi6  You will need to research how to remove various types of stains, as hosting means you will run into this a lot. Do not wash anything in hot water if it has something on it that looks like it might stain- hot water cooks the stain in so it will never come out. Soaking in cold water will remove many stains, hydrogen peroxide removes blood, etc.

Bedding is one of those things you will have to replace from time to time and have enough extra on hand that you can do a quick changeover between guests without having to wait for a load of wash to finish.

Of course if a guest has totally and disrespectfully ruined the bedding, for instance eaten a meal on the bed and gotten some staining sauce all over it, you might ask for the guest to pay for ruined bedding, but dealing with humans and bodily fluids is something you generally have to chalk up to the cost of doing business.

Yi42
Level 2
Braeside, Australia

Thanks for such helpful advice! I’m newish to hosting and was so shocked by the kind of stains a guest can leave. Seems cold water and all kinds of stain remover will be my friend for a while. 

Kobi6
Level 2
Israel

First, thank you!

I tried all that, but it's an ink stain, so whatever I tried it still there...I geuss I'll let it go though it's annoying.

I agree with Kobi....after several amazing guests, I had dirty guest this week who soiled my sheets and towels and left everything in a lump on the floor which prevented my detection of the stains prior to washing.  

I really feel that some distinction should be made between hotel etiquette and proper home stay etiquette.  I spent a lot of money on nice, high quality linens for guests use and really feel that these guests violated me and my belongings.  It will cost quite a lot to replace what I had....do I really have to lower my standard?  What does this say about the quality of guest one will attract overall if I buy cheap linens.....it could just as easily result in negative reviews by the higher quality guest.  I'm charging them.  

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Amanda1036 

Ruining the linens in a hotel is not responsible behavior either. Just because the hotel doesn’t go after you for careless damage doesn’t mean it’s OK.

If you talk to a competent hotel manager they can tell you exactly what they expect to pay for damaged or stolen linens every year.

Guess who ends up paying for the damages: Everybody.