Disrespectful Guest

Vicki214
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Disrespectful Guest

HI - I have been an AirBnB Host for almost 5 years, firstly as a guest then for around 3 years as a host. I took a break while I was housesitting for a friend while she travelled for a year, then started hosting again about 18 months ago and have had a fabulous experience until this last few days.

I have a booking from a young man (early 20's maybe) who is new to AirBnB. He has not read the guest acess or any other information and is being very invasive in my personal space. 

The day he arrived I had pest control in and could not access the house until after 3pm, I sent him a message to notify him and when I returned at 3pm he had let himself into the rear of the property, down the side of the house through the garage and 2 locked gates and imagine my suprise and discomfort when I walked though the house to find him stretched out on my back deck. According to neighbours he had been there for about an hour walking around but they couldn't see the part of the deck near my bedroom.

He continually walks through the house to the rear deck, listed as host's private space and when asked to leave he argued it was his right (please see listing below)

He called AirBnB Customer service yesterday to complain, who then called me to verify or get my side of the story, I offered a refund if he left before 10am today, he has not left. HIs booking is until Sunday, total of 9 days and he doesn't want to leave or find other accommodation.

My main issue is the rear deck looks directly into my bedroom with floor to ceiling windows almost the entire width of the room, it feels creepy.

He removed items from the fridge to fit his own items in, without asking or even communication in any way.

Even after he called AirBnB Customer Service, I was on the back deck having a private phone conversation with a friend, who had lost her partner only 2 days prior, and he came out and set himself up with his laptop out on my deck yet again, only metres from where I was sitting. There is a front deck for guest use so no reason to use this space.

How do I get him to leave, or at least stop entering my private space?

I am really trying hard to keep the peace and not agravate him but feel very uncomfortable.

Thanks

Listing states very clearly:

Charming house, centrally located within walking distance to beach, parks, playgrounds, shops and restaurants. This is one of 2 bedrooms available, 1 Double bedroom with renovated bathroom between the 2 bedrooms. Quality linen and towels provided.
Living area with desk and chair, comfortable chaise and chairs plus a 42" LED TV, shared between the 2 bedrooms.
Lovely front deck with outdoor furniture for guest use.

The Space:

Use of kitchen and laundry is by request and the large back deck.
Both bedrooms are air-conditioned and with fans.
NOTE: I have a large friendly dog living in the house, he is in training as a service dog.

Guest Access:

Guest bedroom, bathroom and guest sitting/lounge with 42"LED TV.
There is also a guest deck at front of the house.
NOTE: Use of kitchen, laundry and rear deck by request, dependent on requirements of owner/resident.

Guest Interaction:

*I give my guests space but am available when needed

I live in the rear of the house in a separate area with kitchen in between guest area and my space. I also work from home so will greet guests and be available most days if needed.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Vicki214 I would call Airbnb and ask them to get him rehoused:  1-415-800-5959. None of this is OK.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I would also rewrite the listing description to eliminate any mention of the option of sharing your spaces. You can always offer it unasked to guests you are comfortable with, but as it stands your wording is slightly squishy.

Howard63
Level 2
Ohio, United States

Welcome to squatter's central. NEVER book anyone for more than a couple three days. Nothing but trouble, also never book someone with zero reviews, has just joined Airbnb or has been on Airbnb for months or even years and have NO reviews. Trouble with a capital T.

I recently received a booking request from a local woman who was making the request on behalf of someone else.  Neither of them had any Airbrb experience.  I declined and told local woman I have had unpleasant experiences with people booking using friend accounts.  In one case a mother booked for her teenage son and didn't tell me till the day he was due to arrive.  Local woman called Airbnb, and a rep contacted me and pressured me to accept her request.  I caved and had a very unpleasant experience.  It began when the guest arrived and told my husband she wanted the sheets and towels changed because she didn't like colored ones against her skin.  Local woman had volunteered to supply Guest's breakfast food, due to special diet.  I left some of the items I usually offer in the fridge and cabinet.  Guest decided to eat some Mary's crackers and claimed they made her sick.  That she was "lucky she didn't end up in the hospital".  She proceeded to examine the expiration dates of everything in the space, complained that a banana in the fridge was rotten (it wasn't).  Then she got down on the floor with some soap and paper towel, rubbed a spot and complained it was dirty.  The floor was vacuumed and swept the day she arrived and had been  mopped three days before.  The place was clean and sanitized.  She checked out this morning after asking for a two hour extension to check out time, which we declined.  I couldn't wait for her to leave!  She doesn't have her own account, so I don't know what will happen with the review.  Thanks for listening!

@Vicki214 

Your guest is rude..... but unfortunately your description is not clear that the "back porch" is off limits to guests. Imo, you should tweek the description so your expectations of guest behavior is more clear. 

You should definitely contact Airbnb and firmly insist the guest be rehomed as he is not respecting host privacy - use the word CREEPY and UNCOMFORTABLE as many times as possible 🙂 and you should mention the guest is a younger stronger male who showed visible signs of anger when you approached him about respecting host private spaces and boundaries so you no longer feel safe in you own home. You will have to be very insistent and firm to get Airbnb to act but also make sure you are not overly emotional.