Do you all have to file a tangible property tax return too?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Do you all have to file a tangible property tax return too?

My douglas county Georgia government sent me a "business personal property schedule B" which is 4 double sided papers declaring our single unit airbnb is a business and it appears they want me to list and inventory of everything related to this business so they can tax me on it?! 

I am not a business or an LLC. I'm just a homeowner with a tinyhouse shipping container in his backyard that rents it on airbnb. 

If I rented my place long term instead of short term this wouldn't be deemed a "business" and I wouldn't have them trying to tax me on inventory.

Are other hosts encountering this? 

5 Replies 5

@Donald28:

In actuality, you are running a business when you regulalrly provide a service or tangible good to another individual or entity for money or other payment. While Airbnb may seem small to you, it is a regularly offered service in exchange for a payment. I can't speak to Douglas County, but here in AZ our county sends me a list every year that I have to complete listing all of the items in the home for both my short terms (STRs) and log terms (LTRs). Of course, my STRs are taxed more because there is furniture inside them as opposed to stove, fridge and dishwasher in the LTRs. STRs inside the city limits require a business license while the LTRs don't.

But regardless of the local laws, you should be operating as an LLC and as a business simply to protect yourself personally in the event of a lawsuit. Normal homeowners insurance will not cover your guest's injuries or the lawsuits they bring against you. Some homeowner's insurance will immediately cancel your policy if they discover that you have an STR on the property.  If you read the Community Center for long you will find that Airbnb's advertised insurance policy cannot be counted on to protect you either.

That got a little bit off-topic to your post, but what you are experiencing with Douglas County is not unusual.

What do you list for your inventory 

Hendrik47
Level 3
Kelberg, Germany

You are renting out a service for your own profit, which is by far the best definition for running a business 😉

In Germany rules are quite easy. As long as your annual turnover stays below a defined limit there are at least two different "business models" you can choose where you can run a small business by your own without a lot of administration or taxes by the gouvernment. 

Did you find anything out and what did you list 

I am in Ga and I’m trying to figure this out too!