Dryer went does for a guest who was staying 12 days

Brandon308
Level 1
Santa Fe, NM

Dryer went does for a guest who was staying 12 days

Hello everyone! I had a guest stay for 12 days and my dryer stopped working the day before they checked in. Long story short, it’s not gonna be repaired or replaced for 15 days and they’ll be without a dryer the entire stay. What kind of reimbursement should I off them for this inconvenience?

thank you!

7 Replies 7
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Brandon308 Do you really need a dryer in Santa Fe? It is an awfully dry place. Could you provide some drying racks and a clothes line? Or, pay for them to use the laundromat if they don't like air drying? Or even take their wet laundry to the laundromat and deliver it back (or pay someone to do this for them?)

Yes, I did offer them to take their laundry to a full service laundromat and return it to them. They didn’t seem very happy with this option and said they’d rather just go do to it themselves. 

@Brandon308  Then you have a problem [in addition to not having a working dryer.] These guests don't want an alternative or an option. They want a dryer. No discount is going to make them happy because, they want a dryer.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It seems almost criminal to use a dryer in Santa Fe in the summer. What a waste of electricity. Have people forgotten how to use a drying rack or a clothesline?

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Greetings from Chicago tonight,  which has reached 93% humidity tonight and had at least seven "every half century" superheating events in the past two years.

When I called Amazon Logistics,  one of their managers informed me that they had closed their shipping centers in Chicago,  New York, Philadelphia and Detroit due to the events.

My basement floor is wet from condensation.   There is a stream of water coming from the two exposed/uninsulated control valves from the main water intake.  Plaster is falling from the condensation around exposed beams in the basement and other areas-- who knows what's happening in unexposed areas.

It's going to take a hell of a lot of work to save the buildings in my neighborhood here under such conditions.   It's going to take a hell of a lot of work to save our cities and our planet.

No one should be using a dryer in Santa Fe in the summer.   It's inappropriate.   It must stop.

In your circumstances,  I would have asked your guest if they planned to use the dryer,  and presented the option of air drying.

If "no" or "I'll air dry,"   no problem.

As there evidently is a problem,  I'd offer 5-10% discount to compensate,   proactively.

In the future,  alter your listing to strongly and politely suggest air drying during low humidity periods,  or impose it by fiat.

The kids often seem to deal better with imposition by fiat,  than ambiguity and lack of clarity.

Good luck and happy hosting.

Brandon308
Level 1
Santa Fe, NM

Thank you all for the “wonderful” input. It’s wonderful to hear you all so concerned for the environment. But, my question was simple,  I advertised having a dryer, my dryer ceased to function. Does anyone have any actual input on the question of how much of a refund should I offer my guest for not having a dryer that he was expecting to use?

also, great to hear that everyone is very informed on the summer climate in Santa Fe. Except, July-August we actually get moisture. It’s called the monsoon season. It will pretty much rain every afternoon, increasing the relative humidity and not to mention possible soaking any clean garments that may be hanging on a clothes line. 

Cheers!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Brandon308 I would offer 10% if they are only interested in a refund.