What measures is Airbnb taking to combat Los Angeles new regulations and what can we do as hosts?

Alejandro574
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

What measures is Airbnb taking to combat Los Angeles new regulations and what can we do as hosts?

Hi Hosts! 

I'm wondering what, if anything, we can do as hosts to challenge the new ordinances the city of Los Angeles has imposed on us.

As for me I find them absolutely inconstitutional and goes against pretty much everything this country stands for and is about.

So having Airbnb be more ilegal than Weed itself is rather disapointing, considering how things used to be only a few years ago.

As for the subject of affordable housing goes... well all those Airbnb hosts that used to make a nice penny will only want to rent for as close as that amount and will only rise the prices of rent at the end of the day. which will inevitably create inflasion in this town.

If any of you has more information about how to deal with these new impositions I hope you can get in touch with me. And would be glad to discuss new options.

Cheers

A

4 Replies 4
De-Lite-Inc0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I’m extremely worried myself. I only ever receive emails from VRBO. I have no idea how Airbnb have not updated the community about it. Will are listings be taken offline ? Will we be given sufficient time. I’m considering leaving LA because of these new rules. Very disappointing 

Claire559
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi there,

Yes, we too are extremely concerned and more importantly THERE IS NOWHERE ANYWHERE WE CAN FIND INFORMATION ON WHAT IS EXACTLY GOING WITH THE NEW AIBNB RULES....  It's unbeleivable that such a massive change is happening without clear information on what is going on, and what our options are.  We have guests coming beginning July 1st, 2019, and we have no idea if we are compliant or will have to cancel for these poor guest, let alone changing our whole life with not being able to short term rent.  As well as the huge amount of hosts who will be in the same situation.

We've been searching online and finding unclear and often conflicting information.  

If anyone has a link to very clear definitive information, please let us all know.  We've even reached out to Aibnb support and getting no informaiton.

Thanks!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

That is a pretty sweeping set of regulations, some seem reasonable to the point of obviousness- getting permission from a landlord before becoming a host, others- the almost 6k charge for investigating a complaint, seem excessive.

The wild west phase is over and there's going to be municipal oversight but how that should work is a work in progress. My best advice is to get organized with your fellow hosts and go to your city council/county supervisors with reasonable alternatives. If you can, get input from your non hosting neighbors. Your vote has the most weight at the local level- who on the local council or board is most likely to listen (and seek your support come reelection time?) Don't take a scorched earth attitude, listen to everyone's concerns and validate them even if they seem silly and work toward creating a set of regulations that protect responsible hosting practices. Good luck, Sally