Early Checkin, Late show

David64
Level 4
Yarmouth, ME

Early Checkin, Late show

Guests flying across country and arriving early requested early checkin. I was able to allow it as the unit was not booked the night before. Guest said they should be arriving at 6am. At noon I messaged guest to ask if they had a new ETA.  Response said they stopped to see family and now expected to arrive at 3pm the normal checkin time. I am at the point of not allowing early checkin anymore as this is about the 5th time same story. I will be noting in the guest review about poor communication. This is their first Airbnb stay and I will educate them that this is not the Hilton with 24 hours staff and to keep future hosts notified about changes in arrival plans.

2 Replies 2

@David64  Since the inconvenience is now fait accompli, I recommend waiting until your review to "educate" the guests. A short note in the public review to warn hosts that they failed to communicate their change in plans, and perhaps a more detailed explanation in the private feedback about how this affected you.

But yes, I think your decision to stop accommodating this kind of early checkin is a good one. Instead, you can demonstrate your efforts to be helpful by giving these guests some great local tips about how to occupy their time after landing - the best place for a leisurely lunch, and/or a nice place for sightseeing en route to your home. (For guests getting around by public transit I suggest left-luggage facilities, but I guess most of yours are using a car).

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David64 

I never promise early check in. The room is guaranteed by 3pm. Once it is ready I will send the guest a message and let them know it is ready when they are. After that, they can arrive whenever they'd like. Last year, I look an international flight which got in at 8am. The hotel's check in time wasn't until 2pm so I had some time to kill before I could get into my room. This year for the same trip, you can bet I purchased the early check in option for an extra $100. My point is that even hotels have policies in place surrounding early check in. Don't let guests take advantage of you. Have your own consistent policies and stick to them.