Earthwork noise pollution

Krista165
Level 2
Alice Springs, AU

Earthwork noise pollution

Interested in suggestions! We have our first ever guests staying in our listing and on their 3rd day of 5 in the van some major and noisy plumbing works have started directly behind our guests bedrooms! I have spoken to the workers who say they may be another couple of days! I have relayed this to our guests but what would you do for your guests! I’m devastated as we have done everything else in our power to set up a lovely space for people to relax!!!

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Krista165  About all you can do in a situation like this, that's totally out of your control, is talk to the guests, tell them that you'll totally understand if they want to cancel the rest of their booking, and that of course they will get a full refund for the days they didn't stay. If they decide to stay, offer them a substantial discount for the days/nights affected. If they're nice people, they'll understand that this was not anything you were informed about in advance and that there's nothing you can do about it, and also how badly you feel about it, so hopefully won't leave a bad review. 

I assume there won't be any noise after normal working hours, so they'll still be able to get a good night's sleep? Maybe they'll choose to stay, and go out and about during the day to get away from the noise. Maybe suggest cool places for them to go for day trips or a picnic. If you live nearby and can spare the time and you like them, maybe even offer to take them on an excursion somewhere to get away from the din..

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977's advice is on the button, @Krista165. Don't let the guests come to you first, approach the subject head on.

Krista165
Level 2
Alice Springs, AU

Thanks for your replies. I ended up offering the guests a refund of one nights stay and they declined as they felt it was not too much of a disturbance. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Krista165  Now those are the kind of guests everyone loves to have!

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Good thing you approached them first, and offered the refund - if they had accepted, it would have been well worth it, to make sure your first rating is as positive as possible!

Now maybe drop off a bottle of wine and a ”sorry and thanks” card? I’ve done this twice, when we had to have plumbing work done, and had to ask guests not to use water/flush for a short while. Got brilliant reviews - don’t know how much was related to the wine, but it might have made the difference between a 4 and the 5 I got, who knows? 😄