Enforcing house rules without bad reviews

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

Enforcing house rules without bad reviews

Two consecutive guests now who sneaked in additional people.  My biggest worry is not even the extra guest but recieving a revenge review if I confront my guests about more money or vacating my property. My house rule has been posted and is clear that persons are not allow to sneak in someone who is not on the guest list. I have cameras to proove my claim of people entering and exiting the premises. Recently my guests broken a bathroom fixture and didnt say anything about it, yet I was given 4.5  that threaten my future super host status. 

Yes, I charge a cleaning fee, does this mean I should have someone walking behind them cleaning up mess. The guest confirmed that the place was sparkling clean on arrival but still after checkout I was given 4.5 for bathroom  being not up to expectation. I even mentioned that people should not dispose napkins, baby wipes,  or anything otherwise from tissues inside the toilet basin and bath tub.  If  I instruct guests to vacate the premises the would probabily trash my expensive premsises without any consequences, and  compensation from Airbnb. 

What should I do? I have been hosting for roughly five months now. 

I know for sure if I approach my guests  with civility they would frown and mark us down just the same

9 Replies 9

I feel your pain. I sometime feels I can't tell guest anything because I know some type of entitlted guests will write me a revenge review. I just recently had a guest that he said everything was great during his stay, until I found that he trash our bed after he checked out. I let him know that I will try to treat the linen and towels he damaged, but if not, he will need to pay the replacement cost. Then he got very angry and claimed that he wants a refund because he thinks the place is dirty!! But he stayed 4 days and while I checked with him during his stay, he said he enjoyed it! 

I am not expecting a low star review....

I think Airbnb needs to do reviews in parts, one for when the guest first checks in and the other for when they are leaving.  

yes!

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Airbnb has changed Air bnb They’re no longer interested in the host or peoples properties they are only interested in the money not your property or well being or your lovely neighbors having to put up with a party house because Airbnb won’t support you Airbnb wants you to refund a guests because they lied about something.
They are playing God with your property they’re not interested if the guest damage your property or don’t move out or have more people, they don’t even take the bond!! just be warned that’s why it’s near Impossible gets a full refund back from the bond because if Airbnb can’t access the money from the guests credit card “the bond”Air bnb Declined the claims request.

Also it’s Strange how seldom read about negative reviews about any Air BnB guests because the guests with the negative review just close that account down and new one.
It’s just common decency to respect other people‘s property if guests ignore people‘s house rules the request not to party! and the only way to stop this is to allow host to take the bond it’s their property it’s their reputation and only IF the guests do the wrong things and damage the property the host can act accordantly that’s what the bond is there for. Of course the bond is totally refundable according to all the terms and conditions of house rules if guests do the right thing they will get the refundable bond back it’s very simple if they don’t they lose there bond. if you rent a property or hotel everyone requires a bond
Every other platform allows the host or the owner of the property to take their own bond. It could be a choice and if guests don’t fell comfort or the host don’t have that Facility the guest can book find another property that Airbnb takes the bond it’s very very simple and it’s a win-win for both house owners and guests.

Air BnB will Shoot themselves in the foot and then everyone loses out. The government and councils is going to shut this down because of the lack policy and lack of support from Air BnB give to hosts. The government or council doesn’t really benefit from short-term holiday rental so why should it support it. But it’s all documented so Government will find way.

@Kate204 @Ricardo741  Exactly that's why I work hard to move away from Airbnb and take my business to HomeAway, because there I decide when the guest get their bond refunded back.

So the guest do behave themself  because they do want their bond money back....

So far it's been a great experience for me to use HomeAway.

I fully agree with you. Airbnb does not look after their hosts. However without us there would be no business.

Kimberley59
Level 4
Seattle, WA

I have a guest right now who is staying for several months at my place - shared housing.  She's treating my place like I'm her maid, though it clearly states that there's no cleaning included in the reservation.  I've had to ask many times for her to clean up her dishes etc so others can use the kitchen.  I'm also starting to worry I'm going to get a bad review over it.  It's just not right that there are no protections for hosts in these types of situations. 

But for shorter reservations sometimes I wait until after they leave their review to charge if they have done damage or severe cleaning issues.

#Kimberly64, Can you share thoughts and tips when sharing - Co Living with someone else for a period of time? Any "I wish I knew....". Much Appreciated 🙂

I honestly don't know all the details about coming living arrangements but there are a few points I can give. Having two bathrooms is a plus to ensure or maximize privacy. Each person clean up immediatley after every spillage. Do not allow person to get to close to you regardless of living in the same house. Manage your utilities daily. Don't start to give loans.