Extra Goodies

Amy1033
Level 2
Horse Shoe, NC

Extra Goodies

So I just posted my first listing, welcoming my 3rd guest today. I provide a light breakfast, usually fresh fruit of their choice, yogurt and granola, maybe also croissants. I also have beer or a bottle of wine in the fridge for them. I have a gift basket with about $25 worth of locally made items. I love providing a great experience, but all this is getting really expensive as I only get the $75 cleaning fee for essentially running the Airbnb. All the earnings aside from the cleaning fee to to my ex to pay for the mortgage. My question is, long-term, how necessary are all the extras that I provide in terms of getting good reviews? I thought it would help me stand out, but I personally am losing money with every listing, so are they worth the expense? Thanks for any advice!

19 Replies 19
Deanne26
Level 2
Texas, United States

Like you i try to provide as much as i can for my guest. I keep it to the essentials though. No wine, beer, or soda. That leaves you open to other issues such as a minor getting it or it offending someone. I provide 2 bottles of water. I have coffee, tea, sugar, cream, mints in a bowl and a bowl of chocolates. Over time ppl have bought different seasonings that are left. I have a drawer that has travel size items in case they forget anything. We also are pet friendly so i provide the things needed to follow the rules. Poo bags, a leash, and towels to wipe them off should the weather cause issues. 

What i have done is let my new guest know at the time of booking that i am willing to get any special requested items but they will have to cover the cost. I dont charge extra, just the cost of the item. ie flowers, bottle of wine, tickets to a function, or reserve a T time. Been doing this since airbnb started and ppl appreciate the extras but i hear more about my white fluffy towels or super soft white sheets, the deer, and about checking on them after their first night. Very few mention anything else. Save your effort but maybe leave it as an offer for those that want some extras. 

Good luck and welcome to airbnb. I have never regretted doing this. I meet the best ppl and they really are just looking for a clean, uncluttered place to lay their head at the end of the day.

Oh man! I hadn't thought about a minor getting into the alcohol, but that's totally true! Thanks for the reminder! 

Sorry, hit send too soon! Your place looks amazing! It's nice to know that good quality items like good sheets and towels are just as important as the extras. I might need to upgrade my pillows. I had to completely furnish it before listing, which was a huge expense, so I just got basic pillows, but if I cut back on all these extras, I can afford nicer pillows! Thank you so much for the advice, its much appreciated! 

This is so helpful! Thank you!

Catherine1193
Level 2
Blairsville, GA

I won’t spend more than 1.5 to 2% of the gross rental, I like to do it because I always loved when hotels provided perks like that for me.