Family Friendly requirements

Erin152
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Family Friendly requirements

I recently let out my house to a family- our house was listed as family friendly- it is over four stories and we offered the guest to put up the removable baby gates...  the guest declined my offer and then on the day the reservation began tried to cancel- citing safety issues as there were no gates up.  Air bnb offered them a full refund telling me my house was mis-represented as family friendly as I had a photo on the listing with stairs with no gates installed....  on the website it says Kids Safe Worldwide "suggests" having removable baby gates--- which we have, they simply weren't up for the photo- but we offer them to any guest staying...  I am livid about this as I really think it doesn't say any where on the web site that you even have to have stair gates- it "suggests" it, but doesn't require it... nor does it require a photo of them.  Any one else had issues with this--- it seems like a small caveat that any guest can get out of their reservation by siting no baby gates in the photos...  I've dealt with my case manager who keeps insisting that I've mis represented the house and I keep asking to speak to his supervisor but to no avail.  I'm at my wits end.  The reservation was for 2 weeks- so it was a substantial amount of money we lost.  Annoying when we handed over the keys- we gave the guest a full tour of our home- so he absolutely wasn't confused by the photos as we had taken him around the layout in plenty of time for him to cancel without repurcussion.  He has basically lied to airbnb to get a full refund last minute.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What an awful experience. Your guests have behaved really badly. If this was an issue for them they would have known when they booked, Sounds like they changed their minds and were looking for an excuse.

Airbnb would have been able to see through the messaging system you offered them baby gates which they refused. Call them ask to speak to the case manager and ask why when this facility was offered and declined they then used it as the basis for a refund.

I would also reach out to them via Twitter and ask them to review confirming this safety feature is available and offered but refused by your guests.

Erin152
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

It has been a terrible experience.  And I also feel like the guests are using this langauge to weasle out of the reservation at no cost.

The problem is I offered them the baby gates when they picked up the keys.  So all that I have in the message thread is where the woman mentions that I had baby gates...  but I feel strongly that even that is proof that I'm not telling a lie- they did know they were baby gates in the house. 

I have talked to a case manager and they keep talking in circles- giving me unclear answers to my questions.   And when I ask to speak to his manager directly he doesn't oblige.  

At first the full refund was because I didn't have baby gates, then it was because there was no photo of a baby gate on the listing...  and a lot of what he says doesn't actually hold true when I read through the fine print.  For example, no where on the airbnb website does it even say that baby gates are a requirement for a family friendly listing...  It says that Kids Safe World Wide "suggests" having removable babygates...  (Which by the way is exactly what we have)  I can't find anywhere where it says it is a requirement...  In fact it seems to suggest it is up to the host...  "If you state that your home is suitable for children, it's up to you if you want to provide special amenities or safety equipment."

I feel like I'm being severly financially punished and the language on the airbnb website is not clear on the issue. 

I'm surprised more people haven't had this problem- as it seems to be the perfect loop hole to get out of an airbnb reservation at no cost to the guest and at 100% cost to the host.  

Also the guest lied and I think that is the worst part... claiming they didnt' know the layout of the house- when I personally took him on a tour of the entire premise in plenty of time to cancel.

I feel my blood boiling just recounting it all.  

I'm still fighting to try to get at least some of our money back.

Just would love to know if anyone else is having issues with this.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Erin152  Was this booking your first on Air BNB?  I don't see reviews from guests so I gather you are new to this platform.  I also see that you have limited availability on your calendar so I imagine this was a difficult blow.

I don't know that you will get much satisfaction from attempting to escalate your perspective on this cancellation.  You might be correct that the guest "lied" to get around your strict cancellation policy and receive a full refund.  I hate to see you expend too much effort in this direction.  Instead, you need to get the space booked.

Still, you are offering a great value for families.  Many hosts do not accept young children.  Highlighting your kid/baby friendly amenities is a good marketing tool so I would add pictures of the potential amenities - gates, cribs, etc.

On a go forward basis, all communication with a guest should ultimately be on the messaging system.  If you verbally offer or agree to anything with a guest, summarize that on the  Air BNB messaging system.  It is like "driving defensively".  All guests have the potential of being in conflict with the host, so as a member of the hospitality industry, be aware of such potential.

I hope you will be able to calm the "boiling blood" for your good health and continue to offer a good value here in Air BNB. 😄