First Semi Bad Review

Ahmad52
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

First Semi Bad Review

2nd month in hosting and I get my first semi-bad review. He complemented the house but complained that there was someone outside in the street drinking at 8am. How am I supposed to control that?!? He then went on and on about the neighborhood not being safe even though I am located off the busiest street in the city and 1 block from 2 brand new hospitals!! I have hosted guests that range from an all girls trip to a single mom vacationing with her kids, and they loved my house and location. Now future family guests will be too scared to book with me because of this bad review...

7 Replies 7
Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Ahmad52  Hi, I just read that review and perhaps the guests were not suited to a trip to New Orleans lol!  I have been there a few times as we had driven up from Houma during a visit and of course I have flown in and out from the airport.  I would say anyone reading the review would have a good chuckle.  Don’t let it upset you.  Best of luck with your Airbnb!  Yvonna (cohost)

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ahmad52 Second month hosting and you're already a superhost with great reviews.  That review will soon be so far down the list no one will read it.  Plus - it's written in bad English.  That will make most peole dismiss it.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Don’t panic @Ahmad52, both @Thomas1033  & @Ann72  are both right.  Just breathe and let your location and images do the talking......

Heather106
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

@Ahmad52 I ran into this when I first started hosting in New Orleans. There is a certain type of traveler that you'll encounter that expect what I call the "Hollywood Version" of New Orleans when they visit. They expect everything to look either like Bourbon St or the Garden District and don't realize that this is a city and they don't think about all that entails in being in an urban environment.

You might want to be a little more specific in the description of your neighborhood. I can't tell from the map if your space is in Mid City or Treme (my place isn't too far from yours, I'm just outside the French Quarter in Treme). You might want to explain a little about the historical significance of the neighborhood, that New Orleans is a 300 year old city, that it probably looks very different from what they are used to and a little bit about the cultural diversity that make New Orleans so wonderful. A few pictures of your block, Canal St, the street car, restaurants near by, etc, would also be helpful in managing expectations. Take a look at my listings pictures and neighborhood description to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I've found that adding these specifics has helped manage guests expectations. Once in a great while I do have guests that just don't get it, but then I suspect that they would find something to complain about no matter what.

Good luck!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ahmad52 @Heather106 @Cathie19 @Thomas1033 Look at all the Super Hosts on this page!  

One of the things I love about this forum is discovering new places.  I've saved all of yours to my wish lists.  Hope to meet you one day!

As are yours! 

Ahmad52
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Thanks for all the kind words!! I will keep pushing and reaching for the super hosts levels that yall are at!