First time hosting and I might be getting scammed by my guests

Ian117
Level 1
West Palm Beach, FL

First time hosting and I might be getting scammed by my guests

Hey it's my first time hosting and for the first several days it has been great. The guests did not really respond for four days so I assumed everything was fine. The 5th day they sent me a large text saying their car window got broken into and was broken, a dog almost attacked their child, and there were homeless people sleeping on the premises. I have been there several years and not once seen any of those things plus there are no dog owners on the street. I asked them to send a photo of the broken window and they said they got it fixed already. I obviously want to report a broken window in my own neighborhood to the authorties but they do not want to. They want refunds and I am scared that I might have my first review terrible when I tried everything in my power to make the stay perfect and nice. Do you guys think they are trying to scam me and if so, how would I go about reporting this so it does not affect my score if so.

2 Replies 2
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sounds fishy to me.  I would get in touch with Airbnb ASAP to clue them in.  Google "Airbnb Contact Number" and it should come up.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Ian117 Well, isn't that what auto insurance is for (the broken window)? I don't see a need to refund for that.  As to the dog, hmmm. 

I wouldn't refund for that either unless the guest can identify the dog and the location where the dog chased them. If the dog was down the street or otherwise away from your space, I don't know how they can hold you accountable for that. 

The guest may leave a review stating that their car window was broken into.  That's a statement of fact (if it happened) and there's not much you can do about that since it isn't a violation of Airbnb's Review Guidelines.  You can always respond to a review like this by saying that you offered to assist them in filing a police report which they declined.  Future guests will get it.