Fraudulent requests

Michelle1470
Level 2
Trinidad and Tobago

Fraudulent requests

Hey everyone 

I am from Trinidad and Tobago and a bit new to the Airbnb family.

I have been getting requests/inquiries  from persons with no picture and the opened an account June 19th.

One particular request the person asked me if they have to pay all the money one time. 

Has anyone encountered this?

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michelle1470 

Youoffcourse  can have requests from new Airbnb members. A picture is not obliged, but you can't see photo anyway, only when reservation is confirmed.

Guests has to pay at time of booking (it is made clear to them and they should not bother you with such a question). Sometimes payment in two installments is offered. Long term stays  (28 days and longer) have to be payed in monthly installments.

Best regards,

Emiel

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Michelle1470  I think the title of the thread you have created is a bit misleading and inaccurate. There is nothing that requires people who inquire to have stayed at an AirBNB in the past. Additionally, AirBNB withholds an profile pictures through the inquiry/request stage of the reservation in order to reduce discrimination.

So, no. There is nothing that feels fraudulent about your experiences.

Without new blood, AirBNB will fail to thrive which isn't in our best interest! Be cautious, of course, but welcome newcomers to the community. 

Thanks for your message @Susan151  . What I am saying is not what you said.

i am receiving Request from people who just created accounts a few days ago. About 4 persons asking the same thing. Their accounts were created the same time ie June 19th. 

I found that weird.

So my caption I don’t believe is wrong. There so something fishy going on

@Michelle1470  Are you sure that the accounts haven't been created in June 2019? I don't see a day. Just the month and year.

Totally off topic, I would love to visit Trinidad and Tobago and have saved your listing.

Hey Susan

Thanks for your message yes its june 2019 not 19th June. I believe there is a group creating false account. It is not coincidence 4 persons account created in June asking me to stay for 2 months. They are up to something. And it seems to be locals

You can private message me. Will send you my number 

Clearly you do not understand the gist of the Caribbean market. I am well aware that airbnb does not let people see the profile picture. That is why i identified myself from the Caribbean. I dont know why you are telling me about misleading and inaccurate. Fraud is prevalent here with lots of robberies so I dont need o know about new blood.

Liz4186
Level 2
Redcliffe, Australia

Hi, I have had 2 requests to book in the past few days which are obviously scams. The wording of the request sounds like it is  computer generated. I just declined the first. "I like your housing. I want rent" (I am not letting a house, just a room)The phone number along with it is a WhatsApp number. (+34631311801) How can I secure my account so these do not keep coming through? Also when I go into my account the messages are not there. Just on the email request to book, which appears legit. I will just keep declining.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Liz4186 Please don't decline - it will upset the Airbnb computer and potentially damage your place in the search results. As these are enquiries all you need to do is respond. A dot is sufficient. You might also report the user toAirbnb to a) get their account removed and b) give yourself proof in case Airbnb accuse you of operating off-platform.

Thanks for the advice mark appreciate it

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liz4186  Are you sure these are booking requests, or are they inquiries? If inquiries, never decline them. A message back counts as a response.

The one you quoted doesn't necessarily sound like a scam, although it certainly could be. It sounds like it could a brand new user whose English isn't fluent, and who doesn't know that putting a phone number in an Inquiry message isn't okay.

If you think something is a scam, hit the report button next to the message.