Guest been complaining about fleas bites

Emily107
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guest been complaining about fleas bites

Hi Guys,

I'm not entirely new to hosting on Airbnb, in the past I have excellent reviews and had great pleasure hosting many guest from around the world. And just recently I have accepted a guest for almost 3 weeks of booking, as a host I have gladly accepted these booking as it is guarantee for 3 weeks. 

Prior to her arrival, she has been calling and contacting me via text message asking for discounts, and many random questions about the property as she was an arriving guest I gladly explain to her about.he flat ammeties and the current tenants that are staying there as well. I gave a special rate and she was insiting I was charging her more but I did not as she hasn't realised that Airbnb charges service fees but in the end she accepted the rates I gave her. Fast forward to her move in date, she was supposely to collect the keys from me the day before which I happily accepted as I wasn't free on the day to pass her the keys. Then she message me the day on her check in time at 9a.m telling me if I could pass her the keys which I have clearly communicated with her the day before I wasn't able to pass the keys to her unless its after 6pm and my check in time is 7pm anyways. I have taken my lunch off just to pass her the keys and upon meeting her I was horrified by how poorly groom she was. This wasn't my first instict that this will be a horrible hosting experience. 

Anyways, fast forward 7days after she been staying at the property she suddenly texted me saying there was fleas in the house which was to my horror has never happened before as there were two other guest that has been staying in the property for more then 2 months and they been getting along very well in the property and has been using the same facilities just as this new guest. And then she submitted for a full refund to Airbnb claiming that the property was unclean, and documented her 'fleas' bites which looks just like any other normal mosquito bites. I have been having this on going conversation with her regarding the "fleas" situation as I have spoken to the other 2 guest which told me they have no seen any fleas or been in contact with any bugs in the house except for some fruit flies and mosquitos. I'm very frustrated with such a difficult guest as she been claiming and asking me to hire pest control but there was no 'fleas' to be found in the property I have bought sprays and pesticides and have clean out the facilities. However to my horror, I was being told by the other two guest that they have observe her that she hasn't been showering herself for the past 5 days, and that she has been keeping open food everywhere in the house which attracted more fruit flies, bugs and etc. The next thing I check was the private bathroom that she has been using, it was and utter mass as she has left hair strands sticking to the bathroom walls, boot prints on the floor and the wall as well as a horrible stained toilet bowl. It seems to me that her accusation of the flea situation is due to poor personal hygience as she has been all these red bumps over her. I told her to photograph the fleas and she told me its impossible because they were running to fast. Which clearly says she unable to prove to me the evidence of the situation except for her "bites". I have also been urging her to go doctors but she refuses till the next week because she says she has a busy schedule, which is quite disturbing for me as if she is suffering from these 'bites' why isn't she eager to help heal it faster. Everything seems very fishy, as I suspect that she only wants a free stay with a full refund. I have also contacted previous Airbnb guest that were staying 3 days before her if they have encounter any bug situation and they have gladly replied that there is none. 

Anyways sorry for the TLDR post, but I have take photographers of all these condition she has left the property at, my main questions is how much would Airbnb take side with this situation as I do not want to refund her at all as I have declined several reservation to accomdate this terrible guest. I have a strict cancellation policy as well.

4 Replies 4
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would get her to move on, refund for the rest of the stay and do a big clean. You have other guests to consider as well. Yes, it will be a loss, but if the other two guests leave it will be a bigger one. I would involve Airbnb here, but who will take her on in another accommodation?

A warning sign here is a guest who asks for discounts and makes a fuss at that early stage. Usually doesn't turn out well.

All the best.

Adel1
Level 2
LA, CA

Its very interesting to hear guest horror stories. I have had my own share of them.

I think Airbnb should do more to protect hosts. I think guests realize that reviews are very important to host and they take advantage of that.
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ensure you review her so that other hosts are aware of her actions

Flag her to Airbnb and explain what has been happening. I assume all messages with her and also between you and other guests are on the Airbnb platform- if so it provides an easy trail for Airbnb to look at. If not then once you have a case manager discuss how to provide emails, texts, etc

Finally - never go against your gut instinct for money. It often ends badly.

Good luck

Ask her to leave, send her a change request for an earlier departure date.  Tell her that although you find no evidence of fleas you feel that you need to fumigate and cannot do so with her in residence.  I'd worry she brought bedbugs with her and I'd be looking for evidence of them. If she won't leave, ask AirBnb to involve themselves in relocating her.  Use violation of house rules as your reason if you have rules about cleanliness.