Guest cancellation - extenuating circumstances

Tina538
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Guest cancellation - extenuating circumstances

Hi! Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue: had a guest book for 3 weeks who was expecting a baby with medical issues. Long story short the guest cancelled a week of their stay using the extenuating circumstances clause. They had advised they were going to check out and I had no issue given they had a sick child. My issue was that they cancelled the booking on the day they were still in the property & Airbnb permitted this even tho I could not then get into clean in the very faint hope of securing another booking. I then had to refund Airbnb the excess payment I had been paid out. As I pointed out to Airbnb it was clear through the messages with the guest that they were not checking out until that evening, and surely they had an onus to confirm they had checked out before agreeing to cancel the booking?   My understanding is that to cancel under extenuating circumstances there wasn’t a pre-existing issue, which was the case with this guest! To be clear I would have allowed them to cancel as no one could be so heartless knowing someone has a sick child, but the question is, is it so easy to bail out of a booking, once in situ, using the extenuating circumstances clause as there certainly wasn’t any checks when my guests cancelled??

8 Replies 8
Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

Anyone at any time can cancel using extenuating circumstances and as the host you just have to eat the cost.  I had guests who were coming from several states over Thanksgiving (high dollar holiday).  In states where some of the guests lived it snowed.  It did not snow at my property.  None of the guests showed up even though they kept indicating they might come depending on the weather.  After their scheduled stay was completely over they contacted Airbnb and cancelled and Airbnb recouped their entire rental amount from me.  

I, of course, could not rent the property to anyone else because the guests had a paid valid reservation (with strict cancellation policy) and had the ability to arrive at any time during their scheduled stay.  For them to cancel afterwards because they did not actually show up and for Airbnb to refund them in full is unconscionable.

Hosts, beware.  Airbnb can arbitrarily cancel any reservation for any reason, even after the reservation has ended, and fully refund the guest and you will receive nothing.

I get they can cancel prior to check in but these guests were in situ for two weeks before cancelling their last week: but yes, us hosts ultimately have to cop the loss & move on.  Had just wondered if anyone had ever challenged the cancellation & got anywhere given this was a pre-existing issue that a quick read of the guest correspondence showed when they booked? Anyway history now & another learning curve on the Airbnb journey!!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Tina538 

You wrote, "..but the question is, is it so easy to bail out of a booking, once in situ, using the extenuating circumstances clause as there certainly wasn’t any checks when my guests cancelled?"

Unfortunately, yes, it is. And most of us have been stung (or will be stung) by this sham of a policy, at one point or another. The Exxtenuating Circumstances Policy is essentially Airbnb's stealthy way of boosting goodwill, brand image and repeat business for the company - at the expense of their "valued" host community.

Please Help - Ridiculous Extenuating Circumstances Policy

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/PLEASE-HELP-AirBnb-Ridiculous-Extenuating-Circumstance-P...

Fake Extenuating Circumstances Certificate

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Fake-extenuating-circumstances-certificate/m-p/991531

Extenuating Circumstances Policy So Unfair To Hosts

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Extenuating-Circumstances-Policy-SO-unfair-to-hosts/m-p/105...

Replace Extenuating Circumstances Policy With Trip Insurance

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Replace-Extenuating-Circumstances-policy-with-Trip-In...

Extenuating Circumstances Policies Extend

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Extenuating-Circumstances-Policies/m-p/181843

Cancellation - Extenuating Circumstances

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Cancellation-Extenuating-Circumstances/m-p/129558

Out of curiosity, is it as easy for us hosts to use this clause to cancel a booking??!!

@Tina538 

In a word... nope!

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

I hear what you're saying @Tina538 - you think the guest has been OVER refunded - right ? that since she stayed well into the evening of the checkout day that she shouldn't have been refunded that night's accommodation, but you were happy enough to refund the remaining days?

I think it's worth a call to CS. Or several. don't bother prolonging the conversation if the rep sounds like a numpty. say thank you, hang up and try again.   You may get nowhere but worth a try.

Historically, CS are VERY guest centric when it comes to extenuating circumstances .

More experienced hosts may have more specific advice.

Very frustrating!

Yes spoke with the CS re not checking that the guest had departed before cancelling a day that they were in situ!  Like other comments, it’s the host that cops the costs!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Tina538 

This is the relevant clause from Airbnb's own policies below. You should get back on the phone and insist. politely but firmly, that as Airbnb failed to uphold the terms of their own policies by facilitating the cancellation, when the'd been made aware that the guests would not be vacating the premises until many hours after check-out time, then they have an obligation to reinstate your payout for that night. And if necessary, call back and speak with a more sympathetic agent if you don't get any joy first time you call  Quote the clause below, over and over if you have to. Good luck!

If your guest cancels after they’ve already checked in:

• They’re required to leave your space as soon as they cancel
  • The terms of your cancellation policy will still apply