Guest checked out early, alter or cancel?

Emily90
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Guest checked out early, alter or cancel?

Hi all, 

Longtime host here, but have not had this arise before. 

Guest is leaving about 2 weeks early due to buying a house. She has said that she will cancel the remainder of her reservation so that I may possibly rent those dates. She just sent an alteration request. The amount of Payout shows the same as what I have already been paid for rental, in effect, no refund. (My Strict cancellation policy).

Is acccepting the alteration request in my best interest or should she be cancelling her reservation, versus altering on her end? She has not asked for a refund for unused dates. 

Thanks for insight. 

Also in future instances where the guest is not as workable for host to rerent any dates by their canceling their remaining dates, is there a good way to make or nudge this to happen? Rather than the listing sitting empty for the days they have changed their mind about? 

Any advice? Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emily90 

Long term reservations allways have the "long term cancellation policy"attached, overruling the policy  mentioned in the listing (like Strict). But also according to that policy there will be no refund when shortening 14 nights..

Altering the reservation will free up the remaining unused dates, it is best thing to do for a long term stay, as it can be done upfront at any moment, while cancelling is a different process. It is up to the host to decide to give some refund manually, especcially when the unused days are booked again.

Best regards,

Emiel

Emily90
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Thank you. So wat is the difference between her canceling and altering? How does it affect her, how does it affect me ? 

@Emily90   If she alters the dates and you accept she will be refunded the days not spent at your place because you have agreed to her alteration request.

If she cancels you will keep all the money because of the policy in place and you can decide whether to refund her. The dates will be opened for other reservations (check that as maybe things have changed).   Only refund via the Airbnb site, never in cash or by check.

In case you do not know: 

If you cancel you will be penalized 6 ways, including a possible $$$ fine and the dates will be blocked so you cannot  let anyone else reserve them and she will be refunded the days not spent, and you will lose superhost status for a year.

NOTE:  Do not click Yes if you receive an email from Airbnb asking if you want to cancel, that is interpreted as you deciding to cancel against the guests wishes (even if they asked you to cancel) and you will be penalized.

Emily90
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Thank you!  I did know the last part about cancelation from my end. Not going to be doing that ever, or agreeing to the email Airbnb may send out. 

I thought that may be the difference between the two but the alteration request listed under “Payout:” for me, the same dollar amount as original payout just above it, or no change. (Actually it looked as if I would gain one penny on the change from service fee somehow) So if that is wrong it is terribly misleading. 

Emily90
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Also, to Emiel, Airbnb customer service just told me that even though it is a long stay that long term cancellation policy is for cancellations only, not alterations, and had I accepted her alteration request she would indeed have been refunded for nights she dif not stay, it is altering the original contract so that she would have not been liable for those dates, and would have been refunded. Thankfully, I called before taking your advice. 

It seems this system just gets more and more complicated and it takes a team of us to figure out what will really happen in each case. Also, you could call customer service times, ask the question and take the average of the answers. Best 2/3 ! Yesterday when I contcated them for a different listing, the representative told me that they are adding 2-3 new departments so they had a backlog of calls to get to. 

@Emily90 

Yup......accepting an alteration means you agree and accept to not being paid for nights not stayed - basically, you are agreeing to changing the terms of the agreement (booking). 

Also, as @Ange2 mentioned don't click accept if you happen to get a "Guest requests that you cancel" message. Guests do not need our acceptance or approval or agreement to cancel. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/BEWARE-of-quot-Guest-requests-that-you-cancel-quot/m-p/4...

All these things are just ways to TRICK hosts into taking the blame and the burden. 

You should tell the guest she needs to "cancel" the remainder of her booking, not  "alter" or "change" it.