Guest has left in-factual review and low score

Beverly38
Level 2
Torquay, United Kingdom

Guest has left in-factual review and low score

A guest has left a bad review that contains infactual information, her 2 main points were that the bed isn't king size and that the sheets were "too soft and not egyptian cotton." She also said in the public review that the sheets were made of polyester.

I've tried talking to AirBnB customer services and explained that the bed is UK King size and offered to take a picture of me holding a tape measure

I also explained that egyptian cotton sheets are supposed to feel soft. I have also offered to send copies of the invoices as well as an inventory showing that all sheets in the property are Gyption Giza ELS cert and the UK distributor was supplied them direct from Egypt. The minimum thread count used in the property is 400 and most of the sheets are 600. A lot of other guests that stay in the property comment on how the bed is the most comfortable they've ever slept in.

Unfortunately AirBnB have taken the side of the guest and the telephone operator said posting infactual information is not a breach of the rules. I guess my main reason for posting here is to see what other hosts feel about this, was this telephone operator correct? I tried to ask for his supervisor but he basically said "he's the boss" and "there is no one above me".

If guests are allowed to post "fake" reviews, how can we defend ourselves? The review is over a month old and because of the low stars it's still seriously impacting my score.

7 Replies 7

@Beverly38  100% Egyptian cotton sheets are 1000 thread count, if its 400, one side is poly, one weave side is cotton. Prob best not to say Egyptian cotton sheets in description so this won't cause you more fussy guests next time. I used the 400/500 egyptian cotton sheets, and various 100% cotton, I don't state it. Sheets gets thrown out, occasionally! Move on host newer guests who are nice!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your listing looks lovely and it is evident that you are a caring host.  This fussy guest review is surrounded by highly satisfied guest reviews, @Beverly38, which is immediately recognized by any potential guest.   As @Syl11 recommends, just move on 😛

You will encounter untrue and negative reviews from time to time, but you just need to develop a thick skin.  If you look at the Air BNB Content Policy it will help you understand what Air BNB sees as rationale for removing a review.

@Beverly38   Unfortunately this happens.  If you wanted to, you could write a short response and alert future guests to UK King Size dimensions etc.  I found this tip for responses invaluable:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Tips-for-Writing-Response/m-p/710590

But, I agree with @Linda108  a thick skin is a necessity, there is no pleasing everyone and some people just do not want to be pleased.

@Beverly38 it is such a disappointment when nitpicky guests have an over-sized influence on your score.

It is also disappointing when hosts discover that outright inaccuracies are not a reason to have a guest review removed.

Given the situation, hosts have to do what they can to ensure that guests do not encounter any unpleasant surprises. Guest satisfaction is heavily influenced by guest expectation. Giving guests good information about the difference between a UK King and a USA King sized bed would help guests understand what they are getting.

The Airbnb host's best defense is in managing guest expectations.

Under-promise, and over-deliver is the classic formula for guest satisfaction.

Maybe remove the references to the "Egyptian Cotton sheets" and let the guest discover for themselves how comfortable your beds are when they stay with you.

We have had a review that is factually incorrect.  Whilst I have responded to the review, this bad review now sits for everyone to see, and Superhost status is ruined.   If something is untrue surely hosts have the right to ask for the review to be deleted?  Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks

Alison

"If guests are allowed to post "fake" reviews, how can we defend ourselves?" @Beverly38 the simple answer to this is to respond in writing to the review on Airbnb, as soon as you can calm down from the insult. Take Fred's advice (in the link above that ange posted). and write a reasonable response that makes it clear to other guests that the reviewer was mistaken. I had to deal with a review that said my place was dark and it is, so my response was that we agreed and that was precisely why every area in the unit (bath, bedroom, living room, dining area, kitchen) had a minimum of 4 overhead lights. No one has ever mentioned darkness after that. Most guests realize that you had a bad guest when they read the other reviews that are good. 

Saari1
Level 1
Bendigo, Australia

Support from AirBnB as a host for false reviews is Zero.

I feel very unsupported from AirBnB as a host. I have just had a listing removed for the weekend due to low reviews. If you look at these reviews you will see that the information in the reviews is falsified. One particular review from Karen I have now called twice about but nothing can be done. Karen stayed in the house the exact same dates as Dawn & Liam who gave 5 star reviews for their experiences. Nothing can be done about Karens false 1 star review.

The most recent review from Tim which provided us with 3 stars has tipped us over the edge to have our listing removed! Tim's review is based on false information where he states he paid $80 ($66.72 according to details I can view on airbnb) for a room now priced at $50. I've never changed the price of the booking.

I am working hard to provide a positive experience to guests but false information like this is accepted by AirBnB and worse I become penalised for it. Support from AirBnB is Zero. A recent 49 minute phone call got me nowhere, in fact it left me feeling worse than before I called. "There is nothing we can do, there is nothing anyone can do not even the owner of airBnB." I was not provided with any information on how to improve my service and I could here the operator typing in the background ignoring my conversations.