Guest request

Toni211
Level 2
Madison, WI

Guest request

My guests, party of 4 asked if they could have a pot luck at our house.  They thought about 12 family members which they are visiting would come.   I'm not interested in doing that.  Does this happen often, is it normal ?   I've only been hosting since May.  How do I politely decline?

Thanks,

Toni

5 Replies 5
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Toni211  Definitely do not accept this. It is in fact a party. If you have no party rule in your listing, you can tell them that you do have no party policy in place.

12 people and eating could have caused big mess and a lot of trash to be collected. Recently a guest lied to me and had a party in my house, even though they had collected all trash and took with them, but they still left a very dirty oven with a lot of grease and burned food at the bottom. It took 2 hours to clean the oven alone. There are food stains on the kitchen floor, which is very hard to remove.

Not to mention that they used up all my kitchen supplies of napkins, plastic spoons, cups, plates, etc.

Thank you,  I do have a  "no parties" rule in place.  All of the things you mentioned are the reason I do not want this.   I'll let them know

I think I just needed to hear what I was worried about.

Toni.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would just let them know that unfortunately it won’t be possible and suggest they hold it at one of their relatives. @Toni211 

Thank you Helen.   

@Toni211    You could mention, unfortunately insurance coverage is only for 4 people thus more is not possible or legal.