Guest showed up unannounced to "view" the space before his reservation

Esperanza52
Level 1
Montevideo, Uruguay

Guest showed up unannounced to "view" the space before his reservation

Hi there!

I manage my mother's space through Airbnb since she doesn't know how to use the platform. We have a reservation confirmed for February but the guest showed up today unannounced apparently wanting to view the property. This made me uncomfortable since I am traveling and people showing up out of nowhere at her house is clearly not what we want. She's not scared but it was definitely a weird way to meet our future guest. What do you think would be a good way to deal with this? Send them a message about the whole thing, notify Aribnb in any way?  I'm unsure if we should go through with hosting someone that shows out of nowhere at your house?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Esperanza52,

This is not a useal situation, at least they should discuss their wish for pre-viewing the property with you and make proper agreements..

I think you should inform the guests about this. It depends on the situation if you want to continue the reservation, because if you involve Airbnb, the relation with the guests will be affected in a negative way  even before starting their stay. But you could mention the issue in the review.

best regards,

Emiel

Thank you for your reply. I have decided to send a message to the guest explaining that if he wished to see the property he should've made proper arrangements before showing up. I hope this won't generate any sort of friction with him. Although if it does I guess it is an indication that he's not a guest we would want to be hosting.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally @Esperanza52 if I guest did that to me I would ask Airbnb to cancel their booking.

What if another guest had been staying?

What if your mother had been frightened by unexpected strangers turning up at her door.

I would say this is a major red flag that this is an entitled guest.