Guest tottaly ignoring the Host and Airbnb's rules - Give me your opinion, please

Guest tottaly ignoring the Host and Airbnb's rules - Give me your opinion, please

Good afternoon

I had a booking for 50 nights and was very happy, as I just posted my house 

Everything seemed fine, we talked over Airbnb messages and as I asked if there were children and their ages, as my furniture/beds are very flexible in terms of more or less people = more or less free space, she told me it would be for 3 adults and as long as each had his/her own bedroom, no worries about the beds - I could leave the ones that were there in the moment.

I asked if they prefer having a cleaning lady once a week (someone would have to be there to open the door, etc and close the door at the end) OR (as I know most people don't want to have strangers going in their bedrooms, and also to have to be there for her) if they prefered to clean themselves 'cause in that case I would refund the cleaning fee to them at the end - she said they would clean themselves

By then she said this would be employees of someone and that person has very strict rules of no smoking, no parties, cleaning - so she (who booked) would go there every 2 weeks to check the house - that'd even better for me, of course! So at the end I would refund her that fee

They got a little late because they got lost (first they sent messages saying they were getting there, so I stopped what I was doing to greet them, but as they didn' arrive, I sent a message asking if they wanted directions - she always told me they knew the area, the village and even that one of the man was from Cascais) but when they appologize for that, I said it was fine for me, as I had many things to do because the cleaning lady didn't show up that day (she was there saturday, but I wanted the house fresh clean, of course - after all I had to do it on my own)

I showed them everything and I got the impression they just wanted me to leave...strange....

As I got to my car and started it, I got a call from the lady saying one of the guys was too tall for any of the beds, so she asked if I have a longer bed - I say I don't and suggested he could sleep in the double bed, that is 1,90 m, with his head on one corner and his feet on the opposite corner...(What could I do?)

She said that would be very uncomfortable for 50 nights and she would get a solution - she seemed very annoied, but if someone was failing, it was her, as I asked about the beds and she never said one of them had special needs

As this sounded so awckward, I contacted Airbnb immediately and told them and asked if perhaps this was because they found a cheaper house and wanted to leave in the 24 hours to get their money - the assistant said this wouldn't be a reason for that, as it was on her to ask previously if there was someone needing something different. He told me not to worry, but I said I was affraid she could try other complaints, like I see in groups of owners that some people do...He said I shouldn't worry but as this was also odd for him, he would keep the support ticket open so if she would contact someone from Airbnb this assistant would know and step in.

48 hours after, I sent her a nice message to show I was a helpful, nice person, asking if she got a solution (I thought she was going to change this man for another one form a different appartment)  and saying I had an idea, and also saying I was going to be nearby the next LONG weekend so if they needed something I could take care of that, but if it was something urgent, as I told them before, I could ask my neighbour to take care the same day

How dumbfounded I was when I got a message from her with ALL these abnormal things:

1 - she had a bed + ADULT matress (so mine, 1,90 m long is NOT an adult matress???) taken to the house - so what's going to happen to the bed in that bedroom ???

2 - she had 2 cleaning ladies going to the house that morning (the check in was fridays and this was monday...so if the house was filth how could they be there those days? And isn't it forbidden to take people to the house without the owner consent?)

3 - one of those days one of the men noticed the door was open when he got to the house - it's a villa, so there's no common outside door as in a building - and he asked the other man and that man said he didn't leave it open.....????? Of course none of them would confess, right? But there are only 3 keys and I left them 2 ...I'm far away and even if I was close I wouldn't go there without letting them know and why would I leave the door open???? And if that was a burgler, would he open the door, go in, don't steal anything and leave the door open????

4 - Finally, she said the cleaning ladies found washed clothes in the washing machine (I forgot to take some T-shirts I used to get the floor dried and something else, I guess...  But she didn't said this to ask what I wanted them to do with the clothes so I don't understand what she meant, after everything else...

I contacted Airbnb after this and they said she was ignoring the role of the owner and even Airbnb as she didn't ask for my permission about the bed, she didn't ask my permission about the cleaning ladies and this should be me hiring/selecion, nor her. THey said they understand I feel the house is not secure/safe with strange people going in and also the door left open, and also about her making changes to the furniture, etc...But then they said if I want her out even with the STRICT POLICY for more than 28 nights, I would lose the money for the rest of the booking...! 

So she can do whatever she wants in MY HOUSE?????

Please let me know what you thing and if this is not correct, what should I do?

All best!

Maria

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maria3530 

A "long term stay"  (28 nights and more) has the 'long term cancellation policy" attached automatically (so not "strict" or whatever is in your listing regarding short term stays). It seems things are not communicated well between you and the guest, and Airbnb was involved to soon. So now you have the option to continue this reservation with better communication and finding solutions with suits you both, and otherwise it will be ended and you loose money, as stated by Airbnb.

A 190 cm bed does not suit large adults (I own such beds too and mention it in those specific listings, so large people are aware of it)

Best regards,

Emiel