Guest wants Cleaning Fee Refunded!

Answered!

Guest wants Cleaning Fee Refunded!

I had guests 3 weeks ago who arrived Saturday (rugby international weekend her in Wales). There were 6 in the party, but only 4 came to drop off luggage and check in. The wife took exception to us being in the property whilst they were here!  She was quite unpleasant.  she told me "I didnt pay all this money to bunk up with strangers, this is not what AirBnB is about at all".

I explained this is exactly what AirBnB is and that is clear on out booking page that we live here.   As she was taking her luggage out of her car I saw that she had lots of party food (M&S pre-order buffet stuff , far more than enough for 6 people!!).  SHe told her husband to put all that back in the car and off they went into town to watch the match.  They got a taxi back around midnight, collected their luggage, and left in the taxi.

Unfortunately they left a case in my kitchen so they had to return the next morning to collect that.

Now, 3 weeks have passed, and they are asking for the £25 cleaning fee to be returned as they never stayed.

I'd be grateful for anyone's advice, please.

My personal thought are......

1.  I had to clean the house anyway. 

2.  It was a rugby international weekend. Vacant rooms are almost impossible to find.  I could have filled those 3 rooms twice over with last minute requests!

3.  They were clearly going to have quite a few people over for a party. She told me they were meeting up with other family!!

4.  I know it doesn't make any difference, but she was SO rude to me, I really resent having to giver her money back after all this time now.

looking forward to hearing your views

Polly xx

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Anonymous Unbelievable!  Just say no.  As many others have noted here, we clean FOR you, not after you.  No need to think twice about this rude and entitled person.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Anonymous Unbelievable!  Just say no.  As many others have noted here, we clean FOR you, not after you.  No need to think twice about this rude and entitled person.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anonymous 

Like you, I would dig my heels in because she is rude.

However, her request is reasonable.

You will suffer no financial loss if you return the cleaning fee. Now, you will not need to clean for the next guests. No loss to you.

I am assuming here, that  the guests are NOT asking for a 100% refund. 

a,But ir's been over 3 weeks since they came. So yes I do have to clean again !!

@Polly0

Are you saying you only rent ocassionally with more than 3 weeks in between bookings?

And are you saying that because your bookings are so far apart, you must reclean because of over time dust?

That is not the guests fault, that  is your choice. The guests did not use your apartment, thus did not dirty your unit. 

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I'd refund.  It's only £25 and presumably you got paid for the booking even though they didn't stay?  Ok, she was rude and unpleasant but to my mind, £25 is worth paying just to reduce the chance of a really crappy review.  Yes, you might get one anyway, I know.  But it does seem fair enough to refund the cleaning fee.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Just be glad they didn't ask for a full refund as they didn't stay at your listing.  Sounds like the wife was surprised at the fact that the space was a single room, as clearly stated on your page, and not the entire property.   

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Anonymous 

Your guests left 3 weeks ago and the 14 days review window has expired.

No need to return any money.

@Anonymous 

Honestly....... I'd just completely ignore her. It's been 3wks.