Guests Gives Off Review

Answered!
Kaye47
Level 1
Benton Harbor, MI

Guests Gives Off Review

Recently we had a guest stay at our Treefort Cabin and had nice time but also put into there review that our area (Benton Harbor Michigan) is one of top cities for crime and basically called us out for not bringing this to their attention in advance. Our area has its bad parts of town like any town but our area is very safe. Even though I responded to her review explaining just this now we have people who have booked messaging us with concerns ugggggg

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaye47  I think you did the right thing in warning guests to be vigilant. Sure enough, if you didn't and the guests parked their car somewhere that wasn't safe and had it broken into, they'd be blaming you for not warning them.

There's not much you can do about this. Although none of my reviews have mentioned that it was unsafe here, I always tell guests to be vigilant when in town (I'm outside of town and things are quite safe in my area, not to mention my large attentive watchdog) or at the beach. Like don't hang your purse over the back of the chair in a restaurant, don't take much money, credit cards, or other valuables to the beach and if you're going to go swimming, ask someone else who's sitting nearby if they could watch your stuff for a short while. It's a major tourist town and with that you get opportunistic thieves around.

And I sometimes get guest inquiries asking if it's safe here. To read the US state dept. warnings, some people seem to be under the impression that they're likely to get gunned down just walking down the street anywhere in Mexico, which of course is ridiculous. Sometimes the warnings are for an area in Mexico that's 2000 miles from me, but people are poor at geography and seem to think Mexico is some tiny country. I just politely answer their questions, pointing out that while I can't promise anyone that they will always be safe, there's nothing special to worry about, and I advise guests to exercise the same caution they would anywhere.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaye47  I think you did the right thing in warning guests to be vigilant. Sure enough, if you didn't and the guests parked their car somewhere that wasn't safe and had it broken into, they'd be blaming you for not warning them.

There's not much you can do about this. Although none of my reviews have mentioned that it was unsafe here, I always tell guests to be vigilant when in town (I'm outside of town and things are quite safe in my area, not to mention my large attentive watchdog) or at the beach. Like don't hang your purse over the back of the chair in a restaurant, don't take much money, credit cards, or other valuables to the beach and if you're going to go swimming, ask someone else who's sitting nearby if they could watch your stuff for a short while. It's a major tourist town and with that you get opportunistic thieves around.

And I sometimes get guest inquiries asking if it's safe here. To read the US state dept. warnings, some people seem to be under the impression that they're likely to get gunned down just walking down the street anywhere in Mexico, which of course is ridiculous. Sometimes the warnings are for an area in Mexico that's 2000 miles from me, but people are poor at geography and seem to think Mexico is some tiny country. I just politely answer their questions, pointing out that while I can't promise anyone that they will always be safe, there's nothing special to worry about, and I advise guests to exercise the same caution they would anywhere.

do you put into your description info about warning guests or just in the conversations?

No, I don't say anything in my description. I also don't mention that since it's the tropics, the insect life is quite prolific 🙂 I'm clear in my listing re my limited Wifi, the fact that I have a dog and a cat (don't book if you have allergies), things that specifically pertain to my listing, but things that are just a given in the whole area, I mention when they arrive. I keep it casual, mentioning those things when they arrive or shortly after, just like showing them where the light switches are, how the fan control works, etc.  As I host in my home,  and meet and greet all the guests, it's easy to convey information in a matter-of-fact way.

If they weren't aware that insects are endemic to the tropics, that's on them, not me. A casual warning not to leave food around, empty food wrappers, rinse out your pop or beer cans, etc. or they might find an army of ants have moved in, in my way of thinking, is a better approach than scaring guests before they book who may be bug-phobes. Same with warnings about safety. I think it's common sense, but I do mention it, but don't want to give an impression in my listing info that the guests have to fear for their safety.

Kaye47
Level 1
Benton Harbor, MI

@Sarah977 thanks!

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Kaye47    First of all your Treefort Cabin is awesome!!!

Second: No I do not think you need to "warn" your guests about where they are booking. Guests are responsible for doing their own research as to where they are staying, like when booking any vacation. Hotels do not tell guests "hey, just a heads up, this is an unsafe area, here are some tips to survive your stay" (lol). It was obvious in the review that the guest googled the area after the fact, which I do not think was far to you at all for them to add that in the review. That should have been a private message to you. 

There is crime in EVERY city and even the best areas have cars broken into, etc. It is the guests responsibility (and common sense) to know how to be safe.

You did nothing wrong.

@Kaylee18 thanks, makes me feel better to have someone else say it. Much appreciated!