Guests leave 2 hours after checking in

Answered!
Amy305
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Guests leave 2 hours after checking in

I just had 2 guests leave 2 hours after checking in. They were only booked to stay one night. They did message me and say that they were leaving because my space was not up to their expectations. They did not cancel the reservations or ask for a refund. I feel that my listing accurately represents my space, so I am unsure what to do about this situation. I did message them asking if there was anything I could do to make it up to their expectations and with no response, went to the apartment 20 minutes later. The bed was unmade and it looked like someone had gotten ready to go out (makeup in the garbage, etc.). Does anyone have any insight about what I should do? Do I offer to refund these guests (I have a strict cancellation policy), or reccommend that they cancel their reservation in their end? Help!

1 Best Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Amy305 Something similar happened to me a couple years ago. A guy booked a private room in my house for him and his girlfriend. It was last minute same day reservation, I should've decline the reservation, but I guess I didn't know better back then. He showed up with a girl who based on what I can see doesn't seem to have any connection to him (I always believe that you can tell if these people are dating or not). They stayed in the room for a couple hours and played really loud music. It was none of my business if they wanted to have sex, but the issue was that after he was done with his business, he said that he wasn't going to stay because my place wasn't "couple friendly" not  sure what he meant by that because I hosted many couples and never had any issue. He gave me the key and never cancel the reservation. I checked the room and it's obvious that they used the bed. A couple days later, he sent me a text asking for a refund. Hmmm... NO. You used the bed and I need to do laundry. My house isn't a motel for hourly sex activity!! I didn't give any refund and he left a negative review because of that. Airbnb took this as an extortion and they removed his review and I kept my payout. So, with this long story of mine... 😂, I don't know what kind of people are these guests of yours. They could be honest and the place didn't fit them, or they might have other reasons that they didn't tell you. I had a guest who showed up and see the room and said that it wasn't what she expected, she canceled the reservation and I kept the payout because I have a strict cancellation policy. She never asked for a refund and that's that.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Amy305Sounds to me that these "Guests" used your place for a quick roll in the hay.   I would decline any refund request as they did make use of the bed.

Thank you for responding, it is nice to have support! 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cindy203 @Philip121

I believe they have deleated  their account.

Got it! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I'll talk to you in the future. BTW, your place looks fantastic!

Thanks! I have lots of family living out there in Tacouma, etc.. Averetts, Riders and Andersons. Good luck to your Airbnb!

I have a Strict Cancellation Policy . I have a current situation whereby the guest after arriving after Midnight ( I have posted check in until 9:00pm) They reacted negatively to seeing that I live in the space as well. Then knocked on my bedroom door at 2;00 AM to complain that they locked themselves out of their room. Might I add they are very young college age, No Airbnb History, just joined . I was kind enough to accept them. Then in the morning they disapeared, Proceeded to call me insesently all morning to request a Refund, I refused. They made the be to look unslept but I pulled everything off and saw her long hairs on the sheets.

They contacted Airbnb and  fabricated many lies claiming they found mold in the room etc.. ;My place is impeccable , I have a 5 star SuperHost rating and  all my reviews are 

excellent. Airbnb issued them a full refund of $620 not 50% mind you but the full 100% refund. 

I have spoken to  3 people already and have gotten nowhere. No One will ever call you back also they are completely inept and upqualified to make any decision expect spewing out robotic, pat answers.  Please Help!

I feel for you! I could never get thru tp airbnb for weeks of trying. Very similar situation and my gues got his refund. I feel Airbnb protects the guests more than the hosts. I wish I had an answer, unfortunately I couldn't find one for myself. Cindy

@Aden1 Did the refund comes out of your payout? I highly recommend contacting Airbnb via twitter and also appeal or ask for proof of the mold.

I had 5 guest reserve the house last night, for tonight. I'm the care taker of the house. I live in and share parts of the house with the guest. So today the 5 guest check in. Asked a lot of questions on the area. They even roamed up to my personal space that is stated "off limits to guest'. Went for a walk. Came back and asked where they could go to buy some items. I told them and they left. About an hour or so later I hear someone yelling "hello". They asked me to come down so we could talk. They told me that they where at a restaurant when before they got their food they had to leave because they had a little emergency and they needed to be in NYC by 9:00 pm. Mean while they are from NJ. They told me they would like a full refund.

Being new to Airbnb I'm not sure what to do with this one. Help!?

Hi @Jacqueline209 if I were you, I would go based on the cancellation policy that is set up on the listing. What cancellation policy do you have?