Help: AirBnb failed to take payment despite updating payment method method. Booking now cancelling

Brandon296
Level 1
Horsham, United Kingdom

Help: AirBnb failed to take payment despite updating payment method method. Booking now cancelling

Hello,

Looking for some advise.

Last week my girlfriend got an email saying AirBnB failed to take payment for the final instalment as her card had expired. They said she had 72 hours to update the payment method otherwise it would be cancelled.

She updated the payment method later the same day using the link in the email and thought nothing more of it. Today she went to check the information of the booking and noticed the booking had been cancelled. She dug through my emails and found no cancellation email so was a little confused. I had a look myself and eventually found the cancellation email in the spam box (thanks Outlook.com).

We called AirBnB to find out what was going on and they were very unhelpful. The person on the phone claimed that yes, the email invites us to update the payment details but it doesn't update them for the booking. Despite the email being all about the booking! He proceeded to tell us that we should have called them. I argued the email didn't say this anywhere and his response was the section that says 'Questions? Chat with us' is essentially saying we have to talk to them to resolve this. He went on to say that if we want our money back it's down to the host and she set the strict cancellation policy. I argued I don't really see what the host has to do with it as it was Airbnb who didn't take payment from my new payment method but he wouldn't budge. I asked to speak to a manager, they promised me a call back in 30 minutes but this was 4 hours ago.

I have also messaged the host to explain the situation, I completely appreciate it's not their fault. She has in fact let the place out again already. I asked about her refunding the instalments but all communication stopped after that.

Any thoughts on where to go next?

Tl;dr

AirBnb said girlfriends card expired, updated card using link, didn't take payment, booking cancelled, no refund, host got silent, AirBnB shirking any responsibility.

3 Replies 3
Brandon296
Level 1
Horsham, United Kingdom

Small update

Made some progress with AirBnb. They said they'd also reach out to the host and ask them to refund given they've re-let the property already. I pushed again saying regardless of what the host does AirBnB should be taking responsibility. Again they explained how the 'internal systems' work when you update payment method. I said it was ludicrous to expect guests to know how the internal systems work and if you didn't state that I would need to call you within the email how am I to know? I was then told they'd need to talk to the host and then if nothing they would seek approval to refund my girlfriend. They got back to me fairly quickly and I was a little surprised to hear that the host refuses to refund, but now I have to wait for this approval.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brandon296  How frustrating and yes, ludicrous that AirBNB isn't making this right for you without a hassle. It isn't  surprise, though. Their customer service has been tanking by leaps and bounds lately. 

Good of you not to blame the host. As far as her declining to refund, what you may not realize, as a guest, is that the host actually doesn't get paid for a reservation until 24 hours after the guest checks in- Airbnb has your money at this point, not the host. So the host has not received anything to date, either from your booking or the one she got when your booking was cancelled. Many hosts are leery to approve a refund, because sometimes a host offers to refund, then the guest demands a refund from Airbnb and gets it, so the host has lost out twice. I know this is hard to believe, but as you've found out, many things Airbnb are ludicrous and unfair.

Perhaps if you message the host, letting her know that you are aware that that at this point she has received no money to refund, but that when she does get paid out, if she would be so kind as to refund since she did manage to rebook the dates, she will be more amenable. And she may not be aware at all, unless you have told her, of the reason your booking got cancelled- she may just think you changed your mind, so is sticking to her cancellation policy. Airbnb is very tight-lipped about disclosing anything about the guest's info or payments to hosts.

Keep at Airbnb, though. Persistence seems to be key with them. Also ask if they really want to lose a guest from their platform over this, that there are other booking sites out there that you will use in the future if this doesn't get resolved. But try to stay nice and polite with the CS rep, even if you feel like screaming at them. They don't make the rules, they are just lowly employees being bombrded with angry hosts and guest complaints all day. You'll get better action from them if you stick to your guns, be firm about what you need them to do, but not take it out on them personally.

Brandon296
Level 1
Horsham, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977 

Thanks for the insight, very helpful! The messaging I've had with the most has remained very positive. I explained the situation in full and passed on the 'advise' from AirBnB that she amends the cancellation policy for our paticular booking. Sadly, she stopped replying from this point onwards.

The only reason I know she declined to refund is due to what AirBnB told me, how true this is I don't know.

I'll keep chasing AirBnB, they've asked for 24 hours so I'll reach out to them again on Tuesday to see what's going on. 

How they can defend the fact the email with a giant link to update the payment details in fact does not update payment details for the booking to which the email references as the entire reason for needing to update the payment details is beyond me. 

I am now in wait and see mode. Perhaps the host will reach out, though unlikely given what you said above. When we originally messaged her in confusion (unware why it was cancelled) she just told us that she got an email to say we cancelled, and she then told us there was nothing she could do as she'd already let the property again.