Help! Guests don't see my check-in instructions

Kathleen382
Level 1
Asheville, NC

Help! Guests don't see my check-in instructions

Hi! I have been hosting for a while and notice again and again that guests don't seem to see the check-in instructions I created on our listings. It's step-by-step, with photos, and yet this past week I've had 2 guests park in the wrong spot and try to get into our front door (our units are below, with their own private entry; we live upstairs)--and this is after I've also messaged them the check-in run down (where to park, lockbox code, etc.) and sent photos. I guess I'm unclear how the self-check instructions are being used. Are they emailed to the guests before their arrival? What about last-minute Instant Book guests -- are they getting an email too? I wish I could send guests a link to my check-in instructions, but Airbnb tells me this is not possible. I send a message on the day of check-in, along with a photo (or two), to incoming guests but this doesn't always seem to help. I've considered creating a video on YouTube with check-in instructions that I could send to guests on the day of their arrival. Does anyone else do that?

6 Replies 6
Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

Hi @Kathleen382 ,

did they confirm or tell you that they couldn't see check-in instructions or are they just unfamliar with using AirBnb website and app?

By coincidence I have an upcoming trip myself and today, a week before, I got the first reminder from AirBnb about my trip. The email also includes a link to the check-in information. The link is only available three days before the trip. I'm sure that there comes another reminder.

I have the impression that some guests do not actively access the information we store in the app or on the website.

To ensure that guests receive all the required informacion process check-in correctly, it might be useful to share the information through the app. In comparison to the website you can use it to send documents, i.e. pdfs, and photos.

Creating a video might be useful, but keep in mind that it always has to be publicly accessible. Would be even better to make it downloadable, because you never know if guest have internet access when checking in. 

Screenshot_20191022_114535.jpg

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think you could substitute 'guests don't seem to look' with 'guests don't seem to see', @Kathleen382. Some just don't get it.

I make it abundantly clear where my house is situated within our estate, yet see a number of guests looking in the opposite corner.

Likewise, 'Please only park in my space - directly outside the house' seems to translate as 'Park in a neighbour's spot to annoy them'.

This is after messaging them too. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

agree with Gordon0 above, some guests just don't seem to read or pay attention to instructions! This is the world we live in.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I send my check in instructions as a message about 5 days before arrival. I almost never get a response. But I've never had someone contact me saying they don't know how to get in so at some point I know it's being read. 

I have heard a lot of negative things about the check in instructions in the app. Also keep in mind that if guests don't have the app they are going to have no reference that it exists at all.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kathleen382 you might make the check in instructions part of your welcome message, part of your listing, have it in your photos and ask guests to acknowledge they've understood your check in process.

We send guests for our mountain place within 2.5 days or so an extensive check-in message. It gives directions (including a warning about strict speed enforcement in town), exact address and lockbox code,  and what to do when they get in (turn on the water with a wall switch). We also warn them to write all of these down because they may not get a great signal on the way up to the condo. This is in addition to the message they get from Airbnb.  ME