Hi everyone. I not sure that my guest is alone but he's booked for one person

Theodor0
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Hi everyone. I not sure that my guest is alone but he's booked for one person

How I mentioned Im not sure that he's alone. How can I solve that misunderstunding?

He came with another guy, said that he's friend of him which is living in Berlin, he wasnt speaking German and had teribble akcent when we were speaking in English. 

How should I check, or how to solve that problem.

Thanks in advance for your helping

5 Replies 5
Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Theodor0, It is possible that the friend is just visiting your guest and will not stay overnight.  That has happened with several of my guests here in San Francisco.  You can wait and see, or ask your guest to confirm that he is the only one "staying overnight".  I have a rule of "no visitors 10pm-7am" so there would be no confusion about the meaning of "no extra overnight guests".

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I say just ask your guest if he plans to have his friend stay overnight - easy as that.

In my house rules I state that only registered guests are allowed in the house.  I always ask for all of the names of people staying at my house.  I host a whole house, not sharing.  If they balk about that I tell them it is for emergency purposes.    I don't think that ABB asks for emergency contact names and numbers.  What if something happened to my guests,  who would I contact?

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It sounds like it's just his friend from Berlin was with him when he checked in. If that is your only clue then I would not do anything. It can look and sound bad to a good guest if you are checking up on them, etc. If you discover immediately afterwards there was a 2nd person staying overnight then raise a claim through the resolution centre.

Also, note that it is very important to ask the person booking how many people are staying. We have had 3 guests who just did not see the drop down menu to select the number of guests. They were embarrased by the omission, but lovely people and happily changed their request to two people. The first time it happened to us it was a mother and daughter - clearly two people - we let it be as it was a mistake on both sides (we didn't ask and they were new to AirBnB)

Stephanie-S-0
Level 2
Rochelle, IL

It is very common for our guests to have guests. This is something we can all expect to run into in the future. If for some reason, a 2nd guest does stay with a 1st guest and it didn't get placed into the reservation, then you can request additional money from your guest after the fact--from the Resolution Center on Air BnB--for the second guest, if you require that payment. 

Many hosts give a price for a room that covers two people, having only three or more guests be paid for separately. So, many of our guests automatically expect (especially if they don't know Air BnB well,) that they can bring their own person with and have them stay overnight--why not? Because they paid for a room, they can put anyone they want in that room, goes the thinking.

Be aware that if you charge a separate price for a second guest, some people will think they can bring that person in without knowing they need to pay.