Home insurance - Australia

Sylvia343
Level 2
Kincumber, Australia

Home insurance - Australia

Hi, we have been doing air bnb for about four months now, my home and contents insurences are about to expired. I have tried four diffrent companies and as soon as i mentioned air bnb they actually said they will not cover us, and that they can not offer us an insurence policy.

I contacted air bnb help, and whilst the guy was super helpful he could only tell me that air bnb has not afiliation with any australian insurer at present, and then asked me to come here.

Does anybody experience this? which insurer actually covers air bnb? or what is the trick to get the main home insured?

We are in NSW

Thanks - Sylvia Perez. 

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Sylvia0, have you considered laying a complaint to your Human Rights Commission?

It sounds like discrimination against Airbnb platform users which is wrong.

Make sure your listing includes Airbnb security policy for cover

Maybe also search in CC using keywords relating to insurance

All the best

Siobhan5
Level 1
West Launceston, Australia

NRMA home and contents insurance has an add on insurance for short term stay - starts at $5 pernight!

Jane3076
Level 2
Newtown, Australia

Hi Hosts,

Anyone got any up to date info on this topic? Have a studio with own entrance but live in the back of the house. So its shared but with no access for guests to our space (but under same roofline).

a few companies have dropped their insurance in this situation (dont know why) NRMA wont cover us.

Cheers Jane