Host falsely claims I stole

Michael3024
Level 2
Richmond, Canada

Host falsely claims I stole

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a situation as well. I stayed in an apartment Airbnb and just stayed for the night and left the next afternoon. I picked the place because it was cheap: it was a new listing and offered a discount for the first few stays. 

Four days after my stay, I am surprised by a $550 request for a "stolen winter jacket." Her message was very accusatory saying she just got home and saw that her winter jacket was missing. She said she offered me her place for a one night stay for a reasonable price and the result is "this...." She then said that she paid $550 for her jacket 3 months ago.

I did NOT take ANYTHING from her apartment and I'm baffled that I'm being accused of doing so. 

I didn't take any photographs of the place, however, she still has not shown any proof of the theft nor has provided any evidence that her "stolen" jacket costs $550. 

She also mentioned that she hired a maid to clean so I wasn't the last person to see the room before the host came to the room.

What do you think might happen to my case?

2 Replies 2
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Michael3024 chances are virtually 100% that Airbnb will side with you. If I were you I'd be getting in touch with Airbnb proactively now, before the host involves them.

Thank you Lisa,

Just an update: Airbnb got involved and immediately closed the case