Host groups

Host groups

Hi, I got an email from ABnB mentioning Host Groups, presumably virtual for now, but at the suggested link I find nothing useful. I’d love to join a local Host Group if one exists… but how do I find it?? I’m in Ontario, Canada. Thanks for guidance! 

21 Replies 21
Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Charles1222,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs#groups for a map research and then you find Ontario Community club on FB here https://www.facebook.com/groups/231358808451674

Hope it will help!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)

Hi  @Delphine348  and thanks for your help.

Your first link brings me to a map of the world and when I try to narrow down to Ontario, Canada, I get “no results”    😞

Your second link brings me to a group in Parry Sound / Muskoka, which is in Ontario but a long way from me. Surely that’s not the only Ontario group! There are hundreds of ABnB hosts in Toronto and other nearby cities, and dozens here in Guelph.

How do I find a *nearby* group??

Thanks again,

Ch

@Charles1222  You can check to see if there is a Toronto Facebook hosting group. 

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Charles1222 , zooming on the world map, all points are hosts communities, found one in Kirchener here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/399248617970734 lead by Alexander and  Larry.

Hope it will better help you

Capture d’écran 2022-02-26 à 03.34.33.png

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Delphine348  The Canadian province of Ontario is twice as large as the entire country of France 🙂

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Thank you @Sarah977 , I know but as you've seen it was an exemple of one of the groups @Charles1222  can find using the map of the clubs. Hope he will find one as he knows better where exactly he lives.:)

Delphine

@Delphine348  Actually he said the map turned up no results at all for the province of Ontario. 

It was the Facebook link he looked at and said it was far from his area.

Hello both, and thank you!  @Delphine348 @Sarah977 

I've applied to join the Kitchener group.

Amazing, to ask in Canada, and get helpful answers from France and Mexico!!

@Charles1222  That's one of the cool things about this forum.

(I'm actually Canadian, but live most of the year in Mexico. Toronto was the first place I lived when I first moved to Canada. I hadn't been back in about 40 years until about 6 years ago- I settled in coastal BC. I went to where I used to live, on Beverly St, just above Queen, fully expecting to see the old row houses there replaced with modern condos, but they were all still there, with heritage plaques on the front. 🙂 )

@Sarah977  I had a similar experience a few years ago when I went back to a building in NYC where I lived as a grad student in the late 60s. There's a plaque on the building now-- it was once the Gershwin family home!-- before it became the 5-story 10-apartment building I knew! I always wondered why this small 5-story building had a (tiny) elevator, when others like it were walkups. Turns out once George started making money from his songs, he had an elevator put in, to make life easier for his mama.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Charles1222  I like your listing. It looks so comfortable and cozy. 

I was assumed by your section on the house plants. How's that working out? 

I am always astounded at how many people can walk by house plants 20 times a day that are dying of thirst and never notice. 

When I first moved to Mexico, I rented out my house on Vancouver Island to a guy for a year. I had beautiful house plants he had agreed to look after. When I got back, they were all dead. He said, "I don't know what happened, they just all dried up and died". I said, "You actually have to water them on a regular basis, you know".

@Sarah977   Amazingly, the houseplants are doing just fine. Maybe I've just been lucky with guests. Most of them (the plants I mean, not the guests) are of the hard-to-kill variety, philodendron etc.  One of the plants, which I had never seen in bloom over many years, decided to flower one summer while guests were in the house-- they complained about the stinky flowers, had to put the plant outside for a week! I got photos of the flowers, without the odor...

@Sarah977 @Delphine348  Hello both and whoever else reads this, 

I'm still having no luck getting into any Airbnb Host Community on Facebook?  😞

There are two groups, Toronto and Waterloo Region, that would be appropriate for me geographically.

I have gone through the online application process several times, sending everything requested (link to my listing   https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/45992003   etc)-- each time I get back a message saying they can't verify I'm a host... and they ignore my request that they email me to tell me what else I need to provide...

If anybody out there has successfully penetrated this wall and can offer help or suggestions, I'd be most gratefu;!!

TIA,

Ch.S.

@Charles1222  I'm sorry I can't help you out there- I don't participate in Facebook at all. But I think you have to be "friended" into Facebook subgroups, at least you do for a local (non-hosting) Facebook group in my area- another member invites you. So maybe try to make contact with other hosts to see if they can do that for you.