Hosting Teenagers

Karen2636
Level 1
Deal, United Kingdom

Hosting Teenagers

Hello, 

I am fairly new to hosting and a parent has booked on behalf of their 18 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter - is this allowed? Should I be accepting this booking?

Thank you

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Karen2636  No. This is a third party booking, which are against the Airbnb Terms of Service. If this was an Instant Book, tell the booker that the 18 year old would have to set up their own account and book for themselves and that you'll need to cancel the reservation as it stands. Then cancel it under your 3 free IB cancellations, stating that you are uncomfortable with the reservation. You don't even know for sure if it's the parent booking- it could just be some other 18 year old who has an account.

I'm a little confused- you say they have booked, but you ask if you should accept it. The only way someone can "book" is with Instant Book. Otherwise, it is  Request to Book, which isn't a booking until you accept it. So if it's a request to book, just tell them what I stated above and ask them to withdraw the request. if the don't withdraw it within the 24 hours you have to decide, decline it. 

Be aware that booking from people of this age often turn out to be someone looking for a place to throw a party, especially if it's only for 1 night- new hosts are often targeted, as they know you are inexperienced. If I were you, I would turn off Instant Book, if that indeed is what you are using, until you become more experienced with hosting and vetting guests, so guests have to communicate with you and you have to approve the booking.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Karen2636  I wouldn't.  As @Sarah977  says third party bookings are not officially allowed by airbnb, although in my experience they turn a blind eye, but if something happens and there are some type of damages, I believe airbnb will use this to refuse to pay.  Also, in some areas there are rules that STR can't be booked by anyone under 21.

If you want to take the booking tell the parents that the 18 year old will need to create his/her own profile and book it that way, direct.

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Thank you Mark and Sarah for this info, I have just had a booking request from a father wanting to book for his teenage daughter and her friend both 17. I am not really wanting to accept as I do not want to be responsible for them. regards Maria

@Therese14  Hard no. Tell him that booking for someone else is not allowed on Airbnb and that 17 year olds are not allowed to stay at an Airbnb without an adult. Ask him to please withdraw the request. If he doesn't, or gets nasty about it, report him to Airbnb.

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Hi Sarah, I have informed him no 3rd party bookings and no teenagers without an Adult, he was good about it  just said thanks, I declined the booking and informed AirBnB why, so now they will probably watch his postings.. I have had a few crazy requests in my time. Cheers Maria Therese

@Therese14  Glad it worked out. If you can get a guest to withdraw the request before the 24 hour clock runs out, that saves you from having to decline, which lowers your Acceptance rate.