Hosts asks for copies ID to keep, bad review, Airbnb does nothing

Katelin2
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Hosts asks for copies ID to keep, bad review, Airbnb does nothing

So I recently rented an Airbnb for a weekend stay. The host requested that I send her copies of all our Ids. I refused to do so because giving a complete stranger copies of not only my id but also my companions seemed risky (because of identity theft reasons and the like). 

She argued with me at first, which is reasonable but tried to use her position as a real estate person to make her seem more legitimate but really it was just a way to try and intimidate me into giving in which was inappropriate. A job does define a person. You can be a doctor and lawyer or the president of the US and still be a theft. It was inappropriate. 

The host and I came to a middle ground, or so I thought, when I agreed to send our names in advance and then she could Id us if she wanted based on that information. 

I also informed her well in advance of our stay that she could decline our stay and we would go somewhere else. 

When we arrived, late around 11:30pm after driving for hours. I told her that we would be coming late and she said we could use the lock box instead. Well she came out to meet us anyways spoke to us all for a few minutes and never asked to see our ids. I thought ok, guess she doesn’t care after all.

The next day when we have been out of the bnb since 9am and only was there to sleep literally. I get a text reminding me of the house rules which I thought was strange but shrugged off. 

Fast forward to to the end of the stay. We check out two hours before we need to drive home and while on the road I get a notification saying she wrote a review so respond in kind leaving an accurate review of the space leaving out how uncomfortable she made us feel while there for the sake of common decency. That was sure a mistake. 

She left a negative review on my account simply based on the fact I didn’t give her my personal information. Which is within my rights to protects especially because Airbnb has no policy that actually says I had to give her mine and my companions ids. 

So i responded to the review on my account obviously upset that even after coming to an agreement she still wrote me a negative review! It wasn’t my fault she didn’t ask to see the ids when we got there. Anyways I then contacted AirBnb because the review which was solely based on me not giving her copies of my id was unfair (my legal write which did not break any of Airbnb’s policies and thus meaning I did nothing wrong) why should I be penalized with a bad review then If I did nothing wrong? 

The Sunday we checked out I contacted Airbnb, and voiced my complains via message but got no response. I then called and was told the case would go under review. I explained my side and was agreed with by the person and was told I would need to wait 24 hours. I waited 48 hours and spoke to various people with Airbnb and didn’t get a response. Finally on the Tuesday night I got fed up and complained, at 7pm they told me they would move my case to another team for it to be reviewed and that they would call me with a response for the day was over. Just shortly after midnight I got a message, no call, that informed me they were going to do nothing about the review. 

Airbnb should have a way to verify companions of the booking guest safely and securely like we do with our personal accounts (my account is verified and Yet in her review she claimed I may not be who I am which looks great. So apparently verifying your identity over Airbnb means absolutely nothing) 

so now I am left wondering what to do? Try to re open the case? Idk if that’s possible or cancel my account and be done with Airbnb because they clearly don’t care about protecting my privacy as a guest. 

8 Replies 8
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Katelin2  Your government ID is verified by Airbnb shown in your profile. It seems to be weird that the host still ask for ID copies while she could have checked during check-in.

Sorry to hear your bad experience. As for the review, Airbnb normally does nothing except for the reviews containing any discrimination, scamming. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Katelin2   It's odd that she didnt' ask for ID when you arrived if that is what you had all previously agreed upon.  You should know, though, that airbnb severely penalizes hosts for cancelling a reservation, so I'm sure that is why she didn't cancel.  

It is unfortunate that airbnb doesn't do more to put hosts and guests at ease through their various ID and profiles.  

Мария15
Level 8
Moscow, Russia

@Katelin2I don't think that the review is negative. IMHO. It is obvious from the review that the guest and the host didn't come to the agreement but still there is nothing dramatically negative in the review.

Why didn't you cancel the reservation if you were uncomfortable with the host's requirements from the very beginning?

BTW Did you use an Instant Booking?

@Мария15  The review left to the host by @Katelin2 is good. I think the guest felt mostly fine except for requesting the ID copies. I believe that she is a good and reasonable guest to me. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Katelin2  Don't worry too much about the review- your response was good, although it's best to keep responses briefer. As a host myself, reading that review and your response, I wouldn't decline a booking from you based on that.

What I'd venture to guess here Katelin, is that this host has had some bad guest experience in the past- hence her requesting the ID of everyone in the group when you booked, as well as reminding you of house rules, even though it doesn't appear that you were out-of-line in any way. When a host has someone disrespect her home in the past, she may be extra careful going forward, trying to protect herself.

I agree it's odd behavior that she said she'd look at ID when you arrived, didn't, then made it seem like you didn't comply. Not very professional.

BTW, there are many countries in the world where a host actually is required by law to get all guests' ID and submit it to the authorities. Altho I know that's not the case in Canada.

Teresita-Java0
Level 3
CDO, Philippines

@Katelin2 

Maybe its your fault too!! A simple "Ma'am, do you like to see our ID's?" at arrival would have solved it.

Regards

Per Java

Bethany195
Level 4
Albuquerque, NM

I don't understand the problem with a guest being asked to show ID. Can someone please explain this to me? Where I live you have to show ID all the time to gain entrance to businesses and/ or recieve services. Ie: rent or test drive a car, buy alcohol, enter a bar, be in line at a checkout with someone else making an alcohol purchase, rent a hotel room ect. Why is it such an offense?

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Katelin2 Seriously Katelin, your rights ? are your rights the rights that allow you to stay in someone elses home after you have been asked for id by the owner of that home ? Do you seriously think that seeing your id will allow a home owner to steal it ? Do you actually believe that this person has set up an entire Airbnb just to steal your id ? They have a right to know who is in their home and if damage occurrs then  who did it . End of story. this would be written in the rules . for goodness sake , you are the same person who shows their id to get into a grotty nightclub or to buy alchohol but you seriously think that a homeowner should allow whomsoever wishes to just bowl up and take over their house for a small amount of money , relative to a long term rental ,which by the way requires id from all tenants because you did not wish to follow the homeowners rules. Paying for a stay does not give you the right to be anonymous . having the trust of the home owner does. Go where people dont care because this host did care for themselves and for your safety. H