Hosts from Hell

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

Hosts from Hell

Hi all,

our daughter and her friend just had a nightmare experience at an AIRBNB she rented in Vancouver, BC.  The communications she had with this "host" prior to her arrival should have rang an alarm bell with her, but she was hoping that everything would work out once they got there.  It only got worse.

Soon after they arrived at the property (a private suite w/bath), she received a message from the host, saying that his wife had complained that they "were talking to loudly"--it was one a clock in the afternoon.  She responded by apologizing, but pointing out that they were by no means loud, just trying to figure out how to turn on the AC since the room was very hot.  The host then responded by saying that the AC was not working, but that he would get them a fan. 

My daughter took a picture of the thermostat and sent it to us.  We quickly determined that it was in fact, NOT a dual system thermostat, but one for heat only.  When we checked the listing for the property, the host had removed the AC  (which was one of the stand out features for his property) from the listing.   I suggested to our daughter to contact airbnb, which she did.  Ten minutes later, the host's wife started banging on their door, demanding to know why they called airbnb and to pack their stuff and get out.   Both, our daughter and her friend were scared at this point.  They ended up calling a taxi which took them back to the airport.  Airbnb did refund their money, plus $40.00, but did not assist in finding a different place.  Not surpisingly, this couple has taken the listing down.  They have another, almost identical listing with the same pictures though.

Any suggestions on how to proceed in this case?  Frankly, I am at a loss. 

2 Replies 2
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ann489  About all you can do is flag/report her other listing of the same property and her profile, since your daughter was reimbursed. Host like this make us all look bad and sadly there are some really crappy ones, but most are honest and good hosts with properly listed properties. 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

Thank you, Letti.  I intend to do that.  😉   We are hosts ourselves and I cannot imagine acting like that towards anyone.