House Rule Support - Simple

Answered!
AngelicaMaría0
Level 1
Mazatlan, Mexico

House Rule Support - Simple

I´ve been looking for an answer to a simple question, but haven´t been able to find a simple answer.

Simply, does Airbnb support house rules?

An example, a rule on my listing says no parties.

If a guest has a party (extra guests, noise at 3am, etc.) what am I allowed as a host to do?

The story:

The condominium is pretty well all Airbnb hosts. Last weekend one of the apartments had guests that partied the whole time. My guest complained after the first night. I talked to the host of the apartment above and he said he would fix the problem. Same thing happened the next night. My client was extremely mad. I offered the two nights free - I would expect the same. I confronted the owner of the apartment that was causing problems. He said he wouldn´t kick his guests out because Airbnb didn´t support it andhe would get a bad evaluation. I got a new guest, and surprise the same thing again. Worse this time because they knew they wouldn´t be evicted. In the end the owner paid me for  the three nights I refunded my clients.

The conclusion is that this isn´t right. If guests break the rules, there should be no reason not to evict. No refund. No evaluation. Also, there are inherent rules. A host shouldn´t be required to set out every single detail of a rule (no parties means no extra guests, noise limits, etc.). When you rent a hotel room, you don´t sign a form lising every possible regulation..

Very Frustrating

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@AngelicaMaría0  I feel for you. The host apparently doesn't care about disturbing the neighbors, he's only interested in his profit. Maybe he'll have a group trash his house and then he'll change his tune.

Airbnb doesn't enforce house rules, that is up to the host. But he is wrong- if someone books for 6 and there are 20 people in the place, the host can notify Airbnb and eject the guests. He won't get paid for the nights they didn't stay.

I would suggest that your guests phone the police (make sure to leave them the number) to report noise disturbance if this happens again.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15

@Gema57  I understand that you are trying to avoid misunderstandings and disrespect, but your house rules section is far too long and wordy. You can touch on the points without writing a paragraph about each of them. For instance, "My daughter and I live in the house when we don't have guests. Expect to see some of our personal items in the closets and shelves" is sufficient, instead of the lengthy explanation you gave. Just try to condense info to the bare mnimum while still making it clear. Guests tend not to read through a lot of text, so you'll do yourself a favor by making it easier for them to notice what you want thm to be aware of if you are briefer.

As far as amenities are concerned, only leave what you feel is reasonable for each reservation. If you have 5 rolls of paper towels available for a 2 day booking for 3 people, the guests might go through all of them, so only leave a roll or two. Many people will be wasteful if you give them the chance to be. Don't leave box of garbage bags where guests can access them. You probably have a place you could lock up extra amenities in a cupboard or closet that only you and your housekeeper would have a key to.

As far as guests taking things, like towels, there's not much you can do about that, if people are into petty theft. Just don't provide things which are expensive to replace.

One thing I'll mention is that if were a guest and found I had to download an app to access the place, that would be a deal breaker.