How can I improve my performance on handling guest arrival/check-in?

Carrie30
Level 2
Savigny, Switzerland

How can I improve my performance on handling guest arrival/check-in?

Dear All,

Have you got tips on how I can improve my ratings on arrival and check-in?

I can honestly say that I have also felt disappointed in this aspect, but it is sometimes no one's fault in particular. 

For example, guests who arrive far too early or before the time they say they will arrive, guests getting lost because of no connectivity to guide them to my place, unforeseen events occurring while I am trying to welcome someone, etc...

I wish I could actually see the areas where I need to improve instead of just the star ratings on their own. It would be more helpful.

Thank you in advance, Everybody!

2 Replies 2
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The things you mention also sound out of your control.

Here's a list of things I started doing to help the check in process:

1. A few days before arrival contact the guest and confirm again arrival time. Also check they have read the instructions on how to find the place and are happy with the instructions.

2. Arrange for them to send me a text message when they are nearby.

3. Explain that I require them to contact me in the event that they are unexpectedly late. Normally I ask for an update if they are going to be more than 1 hr late.

4. Once they arrive beam broadly and welcome them to London. I usually then do a house tour and invite them to join me for tea or coffee. I then do a quick run through of how to get around the area, ten leave them to settle in.

Even with all the above things still go wrong sometimes. It's part and parcel of dealing with human beings. As long as you're doing the basics, cut yourself a little slack as you can't control everything. 🙂
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I forgot to add I also have a welcome tablet and a guest book where previous guests make recommendations to the next guests. It's easy to miss things in the tour so I have it all written down for them to look at when they have a moment