How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Donna30
Level 3
Eureka Springs, AR

How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Hi.

Does anyone know of a direct way to find/post listings with specific needs, such as chemically-free, chemically-safer, organic apartments? 

Thanks. 

73 Replies 73

Hi @Julie1785  is there  link to your blog?

Hi Julie! Is there a way to view this? I have severe fragrance sensitivities and would love to see this list. It would be super helpful. I've been trying to make a list of my own but haven't gotten very far

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I'm having a little trouble with the definition of "Eco-". 

I think I am "Eco-" friendly as regards use of chemical sprays in the house and garden, and I try and buy products which are labelled as bio-degradable, and non-destructive to the environment.

However, that does not mean, necessarily, totally fragrance- or chemical-free, and it doesn't mean that every practice I use in the house, like recycling and waste-disposal, is 100% perfect.  And it doesn't necessarily mean allergen-free.  People can be allergic to almost anything, including house dust (more specifically, mites which occur in house dust).   My sister was the most allergic person I ever knew, until she went for desensitization treatments. There wasn't any way to prevent triggering some of her allergies. 

I have solar hot water, but I also use natural gas.  I use glass and stainless steel, but I also use plastic bin liners.    I prefer soap to antibacterial handwashes, but provide both for guest use. 

I think "Eco-" is a continuum, and not a state, and even if one implements a search based on "Eco-", there should still be questions and answers back and forth between host and guest, to establish whether or not a listing is suitable for both parties, based on their specific needs. 

This is so true. I think it could be interesting to have a “badge” that Airbnb could award to homes that provide certain aspects of the “eco” definition. 

Hello, I am searching for a home to rent in London, UK or the surrounding area that is suitable for someone with MCS. I can't find anything and am getting desperate. Does anyone know any places in the area?

Augusta52
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I would absolutely appreciate a filter like this while searching! I think this is as important as the accessibility filter and would be a great asset for Airbnb to add. There are a lot of people out there who would benefit from this, including myself 

Noreen61
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

I have reactive airway/asthma, and have tried several times to pre-arrange with the host that they at least don't use fragrance and toxic chemicals when 'cleaning' to prepare for my stay. Just got back from a trip where I was assured that this would be taken care of, only to find the house full of so many fragrances, chemicals , and air fresheners that I immediately had the worst asthma attack I've had in years. Rather than have a relaxing , enjoyable vacation, I got really sick. Although a lot of people have airway and immunity related health concerns, Air bnb doesn't have a filter for this. And because hosts don't take this issue seriously, I'm not going to be booking through Air bnb in future. I give up.

I always explain my situation before making a reservation. Something like I am chemically sensitive and would want to ensure linens are washed in a "free and clear" detergent and that no fragrances are used in cleaning products. 

Unfortunately, even after taking such precautions I often have hosts who say "of course," we never use fragrances. Then when we arrive we find dryer sheets in the closets, chemically saturated potpourri sachets in every drawer, and even plug-in air "fresheners." I think they are thinking we'd really better clean this place up because these folks don't like offending smells. 

We end up bagging the stuff up and putting it in a faraway closet, going out and buying sheets from a 2nd hand store. (we bring our own towels) Then hosts downgrade us as uncooperative guests. 

Most hosts just see my initial message and say they will not accommodate. Although that's disappointing, it is better than renting a nightmare. 

@James1037  There are so many people who just don't get it. I don't have allergies or asthma, but those chemical smells really bother me- they're disgusting. I amazed at how many people consider that bedding smells "fresh" when dryer sheets are used. "Fresh" is fresh air and sunshine.

There will be a lot more people with these problems before covid is finished off. They will have lasting damage to their lungs. I got what my doctor termed 'restricted airways disease' forty years ago as an auditor. 

I had a private office (less circulating air than lower-level open space workers) with stacks and stacks of computer printouts. It turns out the phenols from the ink permanently damaged my lungs and made me more sensitive to outgassing chemicals than most people. 

I wrote legislation to address the issue and got it passed by the California legislature but the Chemical Manufacturers Association and the California Medical Association both requested and obtained a veto by the governor. Manufacturers opposed for obvious reasons, Medical because they surmised chemical sensitivities were more of a mental health issue. 

I then had a long career trying to regulate hazardous products but, while the European Union governs chemicals using the "precautionary principle," in California we had to prove each chemical (in isolation) is toxic (not that it is not). In the end, I could only regulate dryer sheets, etc after they become a waste. A pallet of damaged scented dryer sheets has to be disposed of as hazardous waste but the same chemicals used as products go unregulated. 

@James1037  The movie Dark Waters, about the teflon dangers coverup was all about this- as you know, there are hundreds of unregulated chemicals in products that are used daily by the public.

I shake my head when I walk into some office that's just been remodeled and they have a no smoking sign on the door with the statement "We have a clean air policy". But the place reeks from the chemicals in the new carpeting, vinyl chairs, and formica counters.

Agreed, it took me no less than 15 phone calls to find a dentist in my town who didn't use plug-in air fresheners. Medical professionals are not taught about the dangers of household products... or much about food either, for that matter. 

i just found THIS! it's a start!... 

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

This happened to me last time I tried to book on Airbnb. I didn't want to leave a nasty review, so I just didn't leave them one, and yet the host wrote that others should "beware" renting to me and that I'm difficult and hard to accommodate, or something equally discriminatory. It's ridiculous, I was overly kind, especially given that my anniversary trip was ruined and even my partner who doesn't have any chemical sensitivities had a headache from how smelly the property was. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I fear the new cleaning protocol will disturb the added value of a chemical-free accommodation.....