How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Donna30
Level 3
Eureka Springs, AR

How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Hi.

Does anyone know of a direct way to find/post listings with specific needs, such as chemically-free, chemically-safer, organic apartments? 

Thanks. 

73 Replies 73
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Unfortunately, @Donna30, I don't think there is a filter for what you're looking for.  Matter of fact, I don't think I would even know what "chemical free" means.  

Thank you, @Clare0, for your response. I suspected there was not a filter.  Basically, "chemically-safer" is taken to mean (for pesticide and/other chemical injured persons, and also for anyone undergoing chemo-therapy, etc), the apartment/house is free of fragrances, toxic cleaning products, synthetic materials, pets.  Perhaps more frequently referred to as "eco-" ? 

Oh, @Donna30, yes I have come across listings with "Eco.."  in the title so there are some out there.  Unfortunately I don't think there is a filter for them.  Under your definition, I guess my listing could be considered safe for people looking for that kind of listing.  My main cleaning ingredient is vinegar!  But it never occurred to me to list it as eco-friendly.  

Wish you the best of luck in your searches!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Donna30,

Thanks for posting this, it is a really interesting discussion you have started here. I don't believe there is a filter presently for this. However, another host posted earlier about having a possible 'Sustainability Award', I know this is not directly related to what you are speaking about, but perhaps you would like to add your thoughts on this to that thread, we can then gather a wider community feeling on this here in the CC. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

If it says "fragrance"

on the label it is toxic

It  often means simply that the owners do  not use toxic products in the apartment (cleaning, bathroom products, etc). Others go further to be mindful that the furniture they buy is less toxic. A simple  example   of a  traveller concern  is one of  mine: I really don't tolerate artificial scents, and if  the bedsheets  are soaked in the  cloying fragrance of mainstream washing powders and  fabric softeners, I  struggle. And I don't want to fly a long way and pay a lot of money to  then be uncomfortable and  unable to sleep!  

I am trying to convert my Airbnb property to be chemical free (I use Enjo microfibre cleaning where possible, but still not completely chemical free).  I know there is a niche market out there but I don't believe it is something you can easily search for

It would be of great value to filter for this.  But it also works in reverse....  Our personal description notes that we live a healthy, organic lifestyle, and yet guests arrive and don't realize that their toxic hairsprays or perfumes are difficult smells to eliminate and cause allergic reactions to both hosts and other guests.  We have added a request for "fragrance-free" to our house rules section, but I'm not sure how one could enforce such a rule.  

Hi,

I'm interested in doing this too as I want to provide a space for people with MCS. I have it myself so would need to enforce a no fragrance rule. I met another woman with MCS is the summer and she talked about how difficult it was to travel while working without a safe place to stay. 

Do you discuss at length what fragrance free means? I hope you don't mind my asking. I'm about to do this myself so wondering how others are approaching this. I will not be up for renting to people who simply want eco.

The woman in the link below asks guests to shower on arrival. If someone has fragrance issues they would be fine with that.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1101007

Take a look at this link

Lisa, be bold. Put it right up front, boldly. Let people know you're serious. When we are fully open to our guests and explain why things are important we've found almost all people respond positively. Be loud, take care of yourself and your Airbnb investment.

I agree.....those of us with MCS are serious about what is in our environment and would understand your listing perfectly.  You could also 'screen' guests.  Check them out about what 'fragrance-free' is and what you expect if they stay with you.  There are more and more of us out here and it's wonderful to see others beginning to understand about creating a toxic-free vacation stay!!!

I always explain my situation before making a reservation. Something like I am chemically sensitive and would want to ensure linens are washed in a "free and clear" detergent and that no fragrances are used in cleaning products. 

Unfortunately, even after taking such precautions I often have hosts who say "of course," we never use fragrances. Then when we arrive we find dryer sheets in the closets, chemically saturated potpourri sachets in every drawer. 

We end up bagging the stuff up and putting it in a faraway closet, going out and buying sheets from a 2nd hand store. (we bring our own towels) Then hosts downgrade us as uncooperative guests. 

Yes, I wish AirBnB would create a checkbox category. "Pure Rooms," which are far from perfect at several hotel chains is at least a good start. 

Hi James, my partner and I are quite allergic to chemical fragrances and sensitive to any fragrance. Our hosting description includes a disclaimer that NO fragrances or chemicals of any kind are to be used in the suite. No Febreze, no scented sunscreens, hair products, laundry soap and so on).  When travelling, we experience the same issues you have. It would be great if Airbnb had a filter just as they do for Covid that says NO chemicals or fragrances used in the accommodation. This would include chemical insecticides/fungicides, no Febreze, no scented room fresheners, no scented ... toilet paper, soaps, detergents, lotions, sunscreens, magazines inserts, etc. We have a rule of 2 days between visitors when windows are open for fresh air, sheets are laundered and put out on the line. I can then keep our next guests safe even when some are determined to break the rules. I like the term "Pure Rooms"... you're on to something there!

@Valerie27  Your mention of scented toilet paper- I totally stay away from scented products- I'm not allergic, just can't stand those chemical smells. So no dryer sheets, no air fresheners (actual air is the only real air freshener), and I also line dry bedding and towels.

Here in Mexico, consumers seem to love scented products. I have to read the labels really carefully on toilet paper, because most boast "With aroma!" But sometimes they don't even mention it on the package. One day when my normal brand was sold out, I grabbed a pack that didn't say it was scented.  But it was. I couldn't figure out why my bathroom smelled like cheap perfume, then realized it was the t.p. Was I ever glad I'd only bought a 4 pack.