How can I write a review when I'm away and don't know how my guest treated my house?

Jeff251
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

How can I write a review when I'm away and don't know how my guest treated my house?

Hi all, 

I hope someone will tell me if I'm missing something here, but I'm a host who lives 1000 miles from my property and Airbnb wants me to write a review in 14 days when I won't even be back to my property for 30-45 days. 

I have no idea how my guest treated my house, so how can I write an accurate review? Any suggestions? 

5 Replies 5
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Jeff251. With Airbnb's rule of mutual reviewing before publishing both, or otherwise those 14 days, they are not likely to replace 14 days with a month - too long too wait for the next prospective guests to read it. And your timing makes it also diifficult to claim any damages should the guests happen to be irresponsible.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Jeff251 You’ll need to have someone local check on your listing after the guest has left. If I were 1000 miles away from my rental, I would definitely want to make sure the door was locked, lights off, etc rather than waiting 45 days only to discover a wide open door and $1000 electric bill. 

Lol- thanks guys, but I'm not that stupid. I have an alarm, I see on my phone when every door in the house has opened and closed and I have a wifi controlled electronic lock that I monitor. I even monitor and can control the thermostat and lights. 

What I am complaning about is why I need to do a review in 14 days- we should have a longer period of time to write a review. 

@Jeff251, you could have a friend check the place after guests left, even if the friend does not clean. We were in the same situation often and had someone do a quick walkthrough to check for damages and see if the place is fit to receive the next guest. You have interest to do that, not only for the review, but to be able to make a claim if there is damage. You loose your chance, when the next guest checks in or you wait too long. 

In the reviews, I wrote about the communication I had with the guest, how they coped with self checkin and doing all by mail or phone. I greeted them by phone, when they were in. 

The next guest may also tell you something about your place.

and you absolutely need a local person just in case. 

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

You should have someone available for emergencies and to check on your property. Is your property available to rent after they check out? If so you would need a cleaning person who could take photos for you and let you know if anything us broken.